Gouldian Finch eggs in the 'bator! Pics!!

FlightsofFancy

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Canton, GA
OK! I know this is crazy, but I have 6 itty bitty Gouldian Finch eggs in my still air incubator. My friend, who raises these finches, was going to have to throw them away because the parents will not raise the babies and all her foster birds were full. Our intentions were to make my birds fosters, but we couldn't get them tight on fake eggs in time. So we are still working on my birds, but are using the bator in the mean time.
I have the humidity about 55% and the temp at 99.5.
Any other reccomendations?

Last edited:
This pic is SOOOO not any good without pics...LOL

I was just thinking about getting finches yesterday. A friend of mine built a really cute little outdoor finch cage, and I want one just like it.

I can't imagine finch eggs being any bigger than a small marble. What's their gestation period.... 6 days? LOL

ooohhh!! i used to have these...so tiny..so cute. i hatched mine with the parents so don't know the specs, but you might try an avian vet in your area.
good luck!!!

Your going to handfeed? I've been wanting to get some parakeet eggs and try hatching and raising them all by hand but I can't find anyone that sells them. Most people don't want to take the time to handraise anything smaller or less expensive than the big parrots.

I used to breed Gouldians and always used societies to rear mine or let them rear their own. I had three pairs! also had a few fancy societies regular old ones and button quail and doves. Good Luck. Do you have handfeeding stuff? it can be kinda tricky with such small babies and I am not sure about temp and such.

Henry

I am hoping that my foster Society pair will get it in gear and start setting the fake eggs so I can place the eggs in the nest. I am not ready for hand feedings.
roll.png

Fincheggs.jpg

My Gouldian pair are taking turns sitting on their one egg. The male seems to sit in there more often, LOL.
What do I give the parents to feed the chick?

When I have baby finches I always keep an unlimitted supply of "tonic seed" (from LadyGouldianFinch.com) It is easy to digest and helps the babies feather out fast.
I also keep plenty of homemade egg bread with a little "Miracle Meal" added. Also from Lady Gouldian Finch.

Seminolewind: What color are your Gouldians?

I got a real nice bird guy at the flea market. He's the only one who has air conditioning in the entire place. For his birds.
My male has a red head and green body. The female has a black head. I love the lipstick on the male, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom