Gourds and chickens??

hsm5grls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
tucson
I am getting everything ready for my spring garden. I bought a gourd mix seed packet and was thinking they would look really pretty growing over the chicken coop and would provide shade for them in the summer. The gourds included in the pack are crown of thorns, spoon, pear bi color, flat stripped, orange warted, white apple, dipper, bottle, powder horn, and white edible.
Has anyone ever planted gourds around chicken and is it safe if they were to eat it, which they probably will if it is on or near the coop. Any experts out there I need your advice on this before Iplant them.

You should protect the young vines as they grow. Gourds ARE edible while young, so the chickens may peck at them. Are they going to grow up the side (as on a trellis?). Try it and see. Chances are you'll have more gourds than you know what to do with!
lol.png

I was going to plant the on the outside of the coop about a foot back. As they grew I would start training them up the side and over the top. Thought it would look nice, plus lots of artsy things you can do with gourds. I just want to make sure the chickens won't get sick should they happen to eat some.

They will be fine. I have gourds & gourd seeds all around and it doesn't hurt them. Have you checked out the Easy Garden?

TheEasyGarden

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom