Gout, Bumblefoot or ?? Treatment? See photos

SonomaLadies

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015
Sonoma County, CA
One of my girls, Ginger, has had very swollen feet for more than a month. Vet prescribed Meloxicam for pain and an antibiotic. No black spot on pad of foot so we think it's gout. Isolated her in my chicken hospital (playpen), she sits on shavings and gobbles down everything I put in front of her - now just fruit, oatmeal or steel-cut oats, lettuces and a little scratch - only 9% protein. Completely off laying mash. Very skinny, but seems in good spirits, just very tender feet.

Poop is runny (lots of watermelon) but semi-solid when there are more grains. Also cutting up frozen cherries thinking that might help with gout. Just received some Tricide-Neo in the mail and will start soakings today. Have mixed up concoctions with cod liver oil and ACV. If it's bumble foot I have everything to operate if needed (except courage).

I inherited the original flock with the house - Ginger is one of them so she could be old. Not sure what type she is. She's a very sweet girl and want to do what I can to help her. Am new to the BYC family and have learned so much from the postings. This is my first post so apologies in advance as I figure out how to reply/respond/use this site.

Here are a few photos.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

That is not bumblefoot but yes it is Gout. Gout is very hard to treat once they get this. And some birds are just prone to it as well. Gout is a form of arthritis and effects them just as the standard arthritis would. They get this swelling, inflammation, pain, etc...as the uric acid is deposited in the joints of the feet. It can also effect organs as well.

I have an very old male quail with gout. He has been living with this for over 3 years. I have found that Apple Cider Vinegar in the water, (1 tablespoon ACV to 1 gallon of water changed and made fresh daily) really helps with pain and inflammation. In the winter especially, I turn on an Infra Red heat lamp for him for about one hour and he loves to bask in it. It helps increase circulation and reduces inflammation and gets his stiff joints moving on those cold days.

Tart or sour cherries....these are used by humans to help remove the uric acids in the joints. My quail loves these and they seem to help.

Reduce the bird's intake of protein. So find the lowest protein chicken feed you can find and then cut it even more with scratch, corn or millet. Add something to bring the protein down even more. Feed only treats like veggies, fruits, greens...no mealworms or meats.

These techniques have helped my quail continue to live on. He hobbles around quite a bit and his feet are gnarly, but he still gets around, enjoys going out into his run each day and still comes for his greens and veggie treats.

They can live a decent life if you control the diet. Of course if your bird starts to suffer badly, it is always advised to put them down.

Good luck and I hope you can relieve some of her issues!! :)

Last edited:
Howdy SonomaLadies

I have had no experience with gout and even if I did, I do not think I could top the informative response you got from TwoCrows who I would also like to thank; I have stored that one away in the memory bank should I ever need it
wink.png

I just wanted to welcome you to BYC and mention that I adore that second picture .. that little face at the end of the towel, so cute .. “whatya doing?”
smile.png

Thanks so much for the quick response. I'll add the ACV to her water. She's been away from the main flock so long they started beating her up when I tried to reintroduce her this morning for some time outside. How do you feed your quail fellow a separate diet from the others? Ginger will stuff herself silly with laying mash if she has the chance. I think I'll keep her separated for now. Hope to get her back with the others soon.

My quail is so old, all his brothers and sisters have passed on and he is alone. (I don't know how he is still alive...I mean he is way past his average life span and just keeps going and going and going, LOL) So I can feed him what he needs.

Your bird might be a bit different to feed. If the flock is aggressive with her, you might want to separate her out anyway. In her condition, she should never have to compete for food or water. She can't defend herself. You might find another bird she does get along with and let them hang out together for a few hours a day while free ranging, but I wouldn't let her stay in a flock that is hard on her.

I think her layer feed is fine for her, but I would cut it with something so she is not getting as much protein.

Good luck with her, she sounds like a sweet heart! :)

Howdy SonomaLadies

I have had no experience with gout and even if I did, I do not think I could top the informative response you got from TwoCrows who I would also like to thank; I have stored that one away in the memory bank should I ever need it
wink.png

I just wanted to welcome you to BYC and mention that I adore that second picture .. that little face at the end of the towel, so cute .. “whatya doing?”
smile.png

That's the same look I give my doctor every checkup:)

My quail is so old, all his brothers and sisters have passed on and he is alone. (I don't know how he is still alive...I mean he is way past his average life span and just keeps going and going and going, LOL) So I can feed him what he needs.

Your bird might be a bit different to feed. If the flock is aggressive with her, you might want to separate her out anyway. In her condition, she should never have to compete for food or water. She can't defend herself. You might find another bird she does get along with and let them hang out together for a few hours a day while free ranging, but I wouldn't let her stay in a flock that is hard on her.

I think her layer feed is fine for her, but I would cut it with something so she is not getting as much protein.

Good luck with her, she sounds like a sweet heart! :)

They all used to free-range in a very large pen, but a bobcat got one last week and we've kept them in two small enclosures since then. I did have Ginger with a mother hen and big baby in a very small coop with a 2 x 4 foot run, but thought it was too small for all of them. Ginger's pen is in the main coop outside where the others sleep - at least she can hear them and enjoy the radiant heater I turn on at night.
Thank you again for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom