Gout - Tart Cherry dose?

I had a rooster with gout also. He didn't make it through, and was a pet. All of my other roosters I've had have never had a problem, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the diet overall.

Like you said he won't be happy penned up. Not being happy alone leads to health problems. With my rooster who had gout there was another issue that led to his condition.

I hope you have better success than I did.

As for the dark cracked patches on the backs of his ankles from my post that wyorp referenced above, those are going away after the second scaly leg mite treatment, Not sure if that did the trick or a coincidence. Either way, those areas look 90% better and improving everyday. This issue with swelling toes is new and that is why I started a new thread to work on this new issue.
Oh good. I'm glad the cracked places are healing :)

Me too! Like I said - he is such a good gentle rooster. So people friendly and likes to be held and carried around and talked to. He is a big boy but I let him sit on my lap and pet him. He coos and hangs out. He is our Funny Man. Really hate to see him uncomfortable so I will try anything to help him out. Will keep you posted on his progress. Keep fingers crossed for him, he is one of the good ones.

janetMarie, So sorry about your rooster not making it. So sad.... Thanks for the info about the feed. I didn't think the 20% was to high protein - combined with the fact that they free range so the feed is really just supplementing what they find on their own. Not really sure why our guys has developed gout. My hubby has terrible gout and no one has ever been able to tell him why he has it. Only thing that ever helped him was Tart Cherry everyday. Works like magic for him. Hoping it works for Funny Man too.

Update - 6 days giving him two tart cherry capsules per day, as he seemed to be more comfortable and the swelling started to go down, reduced him to 1 capsule tart cherry per day as a maintenance dose. Today is day 10 and I am happy to report he is running around normal with very little swelling. He seems to be much more comfortable. I will try reducing it to 1 capsule every other day and see if that keeps him maintained.
Tart Cherry is awesome! I started taking it myself for bad knees and I have noticed improvement as well. Less pain and easier to rise back up when kneeling down.

Glad that it is helping. What brand are you using and is it 2 capsules of the 1200 mg? Like this one?

upload_2019-10-1_11-10-8.jpeg

Yes, that is the exact one I buy at WM. I open 2 capsules and dissolve it in approx. a tablespoon or two of warm water. Pull it up into a doser, sit him on my lap, sort of under my arm like a football, stick the tip in the side of his beak and when he opens up, squirt it in the back of his mouth. He was not cooperative at first but now he accepts it with little to no fuss. I think he might like the taste. His gout has not come back since I have been doing this. I tried to cut him back to once a week but his toes would get red and start to swell. It is a delicate balancing act! LOL. Use the least amount that still works. I am lucky because he is such a sweet and friendly rooster. He does not mind being picked up or handled at all. That helps tremendously. It is also why I am so vigilant in giving him his Cherry Treats. He is such a great rooster.

Yes, that is the exact one I buy at WM. I open 2 capsules and dissolve it in approx. a tablespoon or two of warm water. Pull it up into a doser, sit him on my lap, sort of under my arm like a football, stick the tip in the side of his beak and when he opens up, squirt it in the back of his mouth. He was not cooperative at first but now he accepts it with little to no fuss. I think he might like the taste. His gout has not come back since I have been doing this. I tried to cut him back to once a week but his toes would get red and start to swell. It is a delicate balancing act! LOL. Use the least amount that still works. I am lucky because he is such a sweet and friendly rooster. He does not mind being picked up or handled at all. That helps tremendously. It is also why I am so vigilant in giving him his Cherry Treats. He is such a great rooster.
Does gout ever go away, or will he have to take the tart cherry tabs his whole life? I'm just wondering.

Back
Top Bottom