GPS for Free Ranging Turkeys?

STBumpkin

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2017
We have 4 heritage turkeys that we free range on 20 acres. Over the last few weeks our turkeys have become more adventurous, visiting the neighbors that surround us. We try to keep tabs on them to keep them nearer our house, but sometimes we lose track. Has anyone used GPS devices to track their birds? Thanks in advance

We have 4 heritage turkeys that we free range on 20 acres. Over the last few weeks our turkeys have become more adventurous, visiting the neighbors that surround us. We try to keep tabs on them to keep them nearer our house, but sometimes we lose track. Has anyone used GPS devices to track their birds? Thanks in advance
No and the GPS for dogs that I looked at a couple years ago are either too large or have to be in range of a Bluetooth signal

No and the GPS for dogs that I looked at a couple years ago are either too large or have to be in range of a Bluetooth signal
There are trackers that are specifically made for smaller animals. I recall them being discussed in this forum previously. I do not believe they are inexpensive. A search of this forum with the correct search terms might find those older posts.

A friend of mine just got one for his bird hunting dog. I think it was like 800 dollars for one. Maybe one made specifically for turkeys or poultry would be less expensive and defintiely smaller (it is huge even on a medium/large dog) but I can't imagine there is much of a market for something like that.

A friend of mine just got one for his bird hunting dog. I think it was like 800 dollars for one. Maybe one made specifically for turkeys or poultry would be less expensive and defintiely smaller (it is huge even on a medium/large dog) but I can't imagine there is much of a market for something like that.
The G&F departments have had them made small enough to be injectables under the skin and they transmit on a radio frequency,

I'm not a techy but would those ones you use to find your lost keys or phone work? I would think they could be attached with some sort of collar? Again I don't know how they work other than my mother had to get one because she kept losing her phone.:)

I'm not a techy but would those ones you use to find your lost keys or phone work? I would think they could be attached with some sort of collar? Again I don't know how they work other than my mother had to get one because she kept losing her phone.:)
I suspect that their range would be too short.

https://www.amazon.com/Ardi-Technol...ild=1&keywords=girafus&qid=1632886260&sr=8-10
I got one of these for my puppy, and sometimes hook it to my 3 yr old's clothes. It's a radio tracker with a range of 1600 feet that tells you the general direction of your pet and if you are near or far away. It was $77 and does not require a subscription of any sort. All the GPS ones need at least $5 a month to pay for bandwidth to upload the info to a map. I couldn't use a GPS anyway where I live as there is very little cell service at all, which all the GPS trackers need to function. So radio seems best for me out in the boonies. ...the animal unit is not much bigger than a standard size dog tag, and fairly lightweight. I don't think it would bother a bird to wear one.

Back
Top Bottom