GQF Cabinet Bator, can anyone help with model info?

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
Without knowing anything about GQF cabinet incubators, I purchased a used one last night for $150. I'm pretty sure it's an older model, but it seems to be attaining and holding temps well, and the turner works.

It has a full clear door, a wafer thingy, a knob controlled thermostat, and 3 hatching trays, with holders for emu eggs (I think). I'm just curious about what model it might be.

I've been on the GQF website looking at a few things I'd like to buy for it... a thermometer/hygrometer, water tray with the pad inserts, and egg racks that will accomodate large chicken, duck and turkey eggs.

Any insight as to what model this is would be greatly appreciated. Oh, guess it would help to post a couple of pics:

With the acrylic door closed:
14651_gqf_bator_061109.jpg

And a pic of one of the egg trays with an emu egg in it:
14651_gqf_bator_emu_egg_tray.jpg

Thanks!

Sweeeeet deal! I would love to have that as my hatcher!!! I don't know anything about it, but you can order the incubating trays from numerous sources. I'm sure the mfg would have some. Congrats.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, though with only having incubated eggs once (shipped turkey eggs at that) there's still SO much I don't know! My first 'bator is a Brinsea ECO 20, which I love for it's ease of use.

Don't know if all GQF cabinet models have the same dimensions? I've already created a wish list on GQF's website, but hesitate to order accessories until I know if what I order will fit.

So much to learn!

I think yours might be a 1200 series.Go over to Gqf and look under downloads there are manuals and you might be able to find out what yours is and how to work it.

I don't know what series it would be but it looks like one that was designed for ratites. It's basically the same as a 1502 except for the trays are further a part and there is no room for the hatching tray in the bottom. You can actually move those and make room for a hatching tray if you like or will work fine just like it is. Good luck getting anything out of gqf.

Thanks for the replies! I'll be using this 'bator to hatch out emu eggs next winter so I'm happy to have the emu egg trays. I'm hoping that I can figure out which trays to order so I can incubate some of my chicken, duck and turkey eggs at other times. Hopefully, GQF incubators all take the same size trays... which is why I was curious as to the model #. I've spent about an hour perusing the GQF website but haven't found the right model specs yet.

This weekend I'm picking up another GQF cabinet 'bator that will be on indefinite loan to me. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use that one as a hatcher. Guess I'll know after I pick it up on Sunday!

How could I have gotten SO hooked on incubating after only one batch???

I'm so jealous. I have the exact same one, which I have guessed it is the 1500 model. Why? Because of the way the three trays are arranged to turn at a steeper angle, and no hatching tray. Also, the 1200 model does not have the electronic thermostat, it has the wafer. So my guess, it is an older 1500 model. Mine cost twice that amount and it is not even so well kept. You'll love it, these incubators are so easy to work with and you'll be hatching like a pro with very little effort. My settings, days 1-18, 45-50% humidity and 100.2 F on the top shelf (where the fan and water holder) That will result in a dead even 100F on the turning trays. For days 19-21, 62-65% humidity, 99.8 F on top shelf. Use a bulb thermometer, and use it to calibrate the incubator, put an electronic one in there as well, and once you have set the temp using the bulb thermometer, see what reads on the electronic one and watch the temp stays there, or if you have just the one incubator keep the bulb thermometer in. Once you have the temp right, grab a wet bulb thermometer and set to 84 degrees on top shelf. Increase wet bulb to 89 on top shelf for hatching. I recommend this set http://www.lyonelectric.com/MARSHCART/500-016.htm One final tip when hatching eggs, at least chicken, you'll know you have the right humidity if you see no condensation at all on eggs, but the shell will have a very noticeable "shine" on it that will let you know the humidity is right where it should be. If it looks too dry or opaque, specially if you shine a light on them in the dark, then you need to up the humidity. If you start to see any condensation on any part of the incubator or you see any mould on your bator, you have set humidity too high. One more thing, temperature will suddenly increase a couple tenths of degree (100.4) around day 10-14, that's the embryos developing and generating their own heat. Decrease the temp back to 100.2 - 100.0 and open up one extra vent to provide plenty of air for the now breathing embryos. The first week is the most important part of your hatch, after that it is downhill and after day 14 the embryos can take a lot of abuse from you. Do not mess with the eggs for the first 7 days, period. Candle at 7, 12 and 18th. Good luck!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom