GQF Sportsman Screen failing

benson226

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on an issue with my sportsman cabinet incubator. Recently, The pixels on the digital screen are starting to fail...entire horizontal lines. Currently, I can still read the humidity, turn numbers, temp, etc but it takes some time and guessing to make sure I’m reading it correctly. I called GQF, and they stated the I need to replace the whole controller, to the tune of $200. I’m wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and was able to replace the digital screen. I’m sure the screen costs 5.00, and I would hate to replace the whole thing when I know the incubator works and performs fine. I’m not bad with a soldering gun, but I can’t seem to find the screen for sale on any electronic websites.

Any thoughts, help, or advice are appreciated!

Hey everyone, looking for a little advice on an issue with my sportsman cabinet incubator. Recently, The pixels on the digital screen are starting to fail...entire horizontal lines. Currently, I can still read the humidity, turn numbers, temp, etc but it takes some time and guessing to make sure I’m reading it correctly. I called GQF, and they stated the I need to replace the whole controller, to the tune of $200. I’m wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and was able to replace the digital screen. I’m sure the screen costs 5.00, and I would hate to replace the whole thing when I know the incubator works and performs fine. I’m not bad with a soldering gun, but I can’t seem to find the screen for sale on any electronic websites.

Any thoughts, help, or advice are appreciated!
I asked an electronics expert that I know.

"If the controller is the one I found on that outfit's website, it really is a simple LCD, and depending on exactly what kind it is, the chances are you could get just the display module for $10 or less.

But there are thousands of kinds out there. So you would need to find one that replaces the old one properly, of course.

A lot of these little LCD modules hook up to the system via a serial interface, so that can make it easy to replace them. But it does need to be the right type so the voltage levels and serial protocol matches."

Unfortunately he did not tell me where a person can purchase a replacement. If it was my unit, I would carefully disassemble it far enough to check the LCD module for a manufacturer, part number and serial number and then use those IDs to Google it. Hopefully it will have that information on it which would make it much easier to find the proper unit.

Back
Top Bottom