Childproofing GQF cabinet incubator?!?

Sammbalina

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2018
Shelby County, AL
Any ideas for childproofing the control panel and on/off switch on a GQF cabinet incubator? My 21 month old loves buttons and switches😅😅😅 I have baby proofing latches for the door, but I’m not sure how to go about keeping her little fingers off of the buttons. We have limited space and can’t really put it anywhere else. She is usually blocked from the hall where we have it, but she is actually perfectly capable of knocking over the baby gate when she really wants to🤦‍♀️ I have it on wheels with the control panel turned to the wall, so if I need to adjust it I can just roll it away from the wall, but I’m concerned about the airflow since that is also the same side the vent holes are on😑

Pictures of the incubator might be helpful to those of us that don't know this model. Best of luck with the kidproofing; always a special challenge!!

Any ideas for childproofing the control panel and on/off switch on a GQF cabinet incubator? My 21 month old loves buttons and switches😅😅😅 I have baby proofing latches for the door, but I’m not sure how to go about keeping her little fingers off of the buttons. We have limited space and can’t really put it anywhere else. She is usually blocked from the hall where we have it, but she is actually perfectly capable of knocking over the baby gate when she really wants to🤦‍♀️ I have it on wheels with the control panel turned to the wall, so if I need to adjust it I can just roll it away from the wall, but I’m concerned about the airflow since that is also the same side the vent holes are on😑

Do you have a playpen? Maybe you could put the incubator inside it.

Pictures of the incubator might be helpful to those of us that don't know this model. Best of luck with the kidproofing; always a special challenge!!
here’s the control panel and the power switch is right above the power cord, which may or may not be an issue as well. She’s never played with cords so I’m not as concerned about that, but loves buttons and switches. If I can figure out how to babyproof the switches so I can turn it around I can run the cord over the incubator and it’ll be less tempting… I do wish it was more flush to the side of the cabinet though… I was thinking for the control panel using a piece of plexiglass, foam adhesive tabs, and hinges to make a see through door since the temp and humidity monitor is also there, but not sure how I would latch it. She’s also a smart cookie and has figured out several latches already, most things we have to use heavy duty carabiners just because her hands aren’t strong enough to open them yet🤣

Attachments

• IMG_9145.jpeg
    IMG_9145.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9146.jpeg
    IMG_9146.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 2
I was thinking for the control panel using a piece of plexiglass, foam adhesive tabs, and hinges to make a see through door since the temp and humidity monitor is also there, but not sure how I would latch it. She’s also a smart cookie and has figured out several latches already, most things we have to use heavy duty carabiners just because her hands aren’t strong enough to open them yet🤣
That sounds like it might work.

For a latch, maybe make it so you can put a padlock on it. Then you have the option to use a carabiner instead of the padlock, or use a combination padlock and remember the combination (so you don't need to keep track of the key.) You could probably even write the combination on the lock so you don't forget it, at least until she gets a little older and figures that out too.

You could also consider putting a distraction or a warning system there. For example, hang a bell she can ring near the incubator. When you hear it ring, you know to check on her. I once put a padlock on a toolbox, with the key hanging right there for easy access. Of course the toddler soon learned how to open the padlock, but usually didn't get around to messing with the tools because the lock was so much fun. I didn't plan it that way (didn't think the kid would learn to use a key so young!), but it ended up working fairly well.

I actually messaged the GQF company and suggested they come up with something and 10 minutes later I got a response and they thought that it was a great idea!🤣
They probably tested the incubator in situations with no children, and never even thought about it until they got your message :lau

It will be interesting to see what comes of that idea.

Back
Top Bottom