GQF sportsman vs Dickey incubators?

HI Dennis,
Would mine sharing more exactly how you did this? I have an old 54 quart cooler with a partially broken lid that I would consider scavenging for this! Is it an incubator or hatcher or both?? How do you maintain the temperature? Humidity? Turn the eggs? If both how do you keep the hatching eggs separate from the still developing ones? And lastly, this is what always bugs me about current incubators are the tiny windows: Can you put a larger window on the side for a better view? Thanks!

It is a hatcher only, so no turning issues. The humidity is kept up by filling some compartments in the plastic cutlery trays (from Dollar Tree) I put in the bottom. If you look a the pics 3 posts up from this, you can see the inner lid. I don't care for large viewing windows it they allow heat to escape all the time, not just when you are viewing. I considered making an insulated window of some sort, but the inner, sliding lid has a lot of advantage, including the fact that the top lid insulates it easily.

I like your design! I'm toying with the idea of making an incubator and hatcher- a smaller one though!
If you put 2 panes on each side for viewing does that help insulate it better to prevent heat loss?

I know styrofoam is easier to work with but I also have access to wood. Is there a general preference and why? Is there a post discussing this? Thanks for your responses!

I know styrofoam is easier to work with but I also have access to wood. Is there a general preference and why? Is there a post discussing this? Thanks for your responses!
Personal experience and strictly an opinion. I like wood. You have to take into account that you wiil be cleaning and disinfecting it. Its harder to do with wood. You also have to consider the insulating properties. And last but not least don't forget how wood swells and contracts

I've been flirting with a wood veneer cabinet insulated with Styrofoam and lined and SEALED with the smooth plastic wall panels for bathrooms

Just for info My cabinet incubator is made out of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood that I got for free, my hatcher is out of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood I got for free----the reason one is 1/2" and the other is 3/4" is--it was free---LOL and I used what I had. Both are painted with exterior semi-gloss paint to make keeping it wiped out/cleaned--easier. No insulation boards---just plywood and they heat good and work better. They are in the bedroom of a old camper---unheated---and they work almost perfect(98 to 100 % Hatch) every hatch---probably 100 hatches with over 7000 hatched so far. I will be setting it again in a few days with about 275 eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom