Grain Fed Rant

I have had both and I like grain fed beef more. I do think if there was a huge demand for grass fed beef then it would be in the market place.
Again, I think there is a difference between supplementing an ethically raised cow's diet with some grain, and even setting them aside and grain finishing, and what goes on in feedlots.

But I never really intended for this thread to turn into the rather inflammatory thing it has become. I was only upset by restaurants parading sub quality wares and disinformation like it's somethign special. And the fact that we, as a society, just simply don't seem to care about our food anymore.

jnntefend I have talked to people who are very interested in their food and where it comes from and how it was raised. Actually had a guy ask me about buying a grain finished steer from us.

I always think it is funny how people are always saying to me how great angus beef is. I always tell them once the hide is off point out the angus for me. I sure get a lot of blank looks on that one.

When I drive by a feed lot, the stench makes my eyes water and the sight of cattle packed together removes any appetite I may have had. Driving by correctly cared for pasture-raised cattle does not make the latter occur, and never the former. It was a really easy choice for me personally...once I had a real choice that is.

It is not a choice at all for many. I was raised to believe that commercial and conventional was best, I certainly couldn't afford grass-fed in coming out of college, wasn't in an area/situation I could raise my own food in, and was living in an urban 'food desert' where only processed foods were available. I am encouraged by the number of people I meet now who care very much where there food is coming from. It does seem like awareness is at least widening, though propaganda unfortunately is certainly rampant on both sides of the issue.

Quote:
So to you feed lots are unethical ? To some people having your chickens caged up in a run is unethical. Isn't not letting them sleep in trees like nature would have them unethical ?

What sub quality wares was the restaurant parading ? What disinformation did they parade ? You said the sign said "Proud to serve USDA Grain-fed Beef"! Now if they served you a grass fed steak then you would have a complaint. Why doesn't someone open a restaurant that is "Proud to serve USDA Grass-fed Beef" ? Could it be that they wouldn't make any money ? If there was much call for it all those restaurants would offer it on their menu don't you think ?

There are such restaurants. Large grocery chains are also trying to tap into the demand for grass-fed, even in my rural area where the people are mostly, um, corn fed. Means little to me though. If I was one to live life by what is in demand...I'd be watching some pretty terrible movies right now.

Are mega feedlots like this one unethical, immoral, cruel?

As BSartist rightly points out, we're all entitled to opinions. However, we're not entitled to our own facts. If these cattle are here for 6 months, as other posters pointed out, then, at the very least, where is their opportunity for shelter? And what about the waste they're standing in? If you care for your food only as a commodity, as a product, fine. But I think there are other factors to weigh, as the 'proud to serve...' sign reflects. Isn't caring for what goes in the animal only one part of their care?

I know that there is a compelling cost argument here, but why does cost trump other considerations? Shouldn't we expect more? Don't we have that right?

Last edited:
Roomy corrals with cattle laying down. One low spot that was holding water. Clean corrals. A great loading chute.

Nothing immoral or unethical there.

Grass fed beef? Is there really enough land for cattle to be grass fed? Already ranchers have begun taking their cattle to gaze on public lands. Public lands with native wildlife. Wildlife which is being destroyed (or/an hunted and trapped) in order to provide more grazing for the cows.
Cows are meant to graze, not really eat corn, grains or rendered meat, but you get what you pay for.

Quote:
If there is not, I personally would suggest we seriously look at what we want to use land for (ie. McMansions? Golf courses? Food growing? Housing? Dedicated Easter egg hunts (my vote)?), and what balance we want between population growth and quality of life and environment.

Grass fed beef? Is there really enough land for cattle to be grass fed? Already ranchers have begun taking their cattle to gaze on public lands. Public lands with native wildlife. Wildlife which is being destroyed (or/an hunted and trapped) in order to provide more grazing for the cows.
Cows are meant to graze, not really eat corn, grains or rendered meat, but you get what you pay for.
You'd be surprised. The original system worked great, back when people shopped locally and utilized community resources. If we went back to a system like that, or even a bit closer to that, there would be plenty of meat to go around,a s well as vegetables and grains,and we would be renewing our soil instead of ravaging it, creating even more useful land. Unfortunately, everyone want to go to their local giant chain, like wal-mart, and buy everything they can imagine, any time of year they want. And they want to eat a hamburger prepared in 60 seconds from McDonalds instead of somethign they made at home from the resources available in their community, and in their own yards and gardens. In a society like that, no, perhaps there isn't enough arable land. And the amount we have shrinks every year.

Back
Top Bottom