Grain Free Feeding for Muscovies

Have a look at heritage seed producers to see which kinds of seed producing plants they sell that you might be able to grow. Not sure if any of these would be a problem for you but you could look out for millet, amaranth, and quinoa.... Also try growing seed producing grasses. I don't know any US ones but I have lots of native Australian grasses in my yard and the ducks like to eat the seed heads.

There is significant cross contamination risk from wheat, barley, and rye in all grains and oats and I am extremely sensitive to those three, just a single low exposure can leave me very sick for days as my body attacks itself in an autoimmune overreaction.

Not pleasant and not worth it.

I'm sorry to hear about your condition, and I'm happy that such an exceedingly rare condition was able to be diagnosed and you have found a way to treat and/or avoid the unpleasant side effects. In explaining how severe your reaction is, you helped me understand why you would want to avoid any contact with any grains, even in feeds, as I imagine you have poor reactions to even walking into a bakery. Under such remarkable conditions, it would make sense that you would want to avoid these otherwise nutritious feed ingredients for your animals, as you were running a risk of exposure either by feeding the animals or by eventually eating them. (I'm unsure just how much of exposure you'd have from eating grain-fed animals, but again, with such a startlingly severe case of hypersensitivity, I can understand erring on the side of caution.)

However, seeing as grains make up so much of a healthy diet for poultry, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for you to raise a forage animal, like rabbits, instead of ducks. Finding a low grain diet for rabbits would take some work, but with some careful and low-intensity husbandry, it might be made to work. JMO.​

I just thought I would give an update on where I am at with the grain free/soy free thing.

I ended up getting given a free flock of chickens a few days after I got the ducklings. Well...the ducklings caught a nasty something and all died. I had them separated from the chickens for 2 months and gradually introduced them, but that wasn't enough. :( I think I got them too young, they didn't stand a chance without the medicated starter and vaccines, in the future I'll get adults, let them get what they need for an immune system with Mom's help. (The way it should be)

The 8 chickens however did absolutely fine on a grain free/soy free diet over the winter. They are laying well and happy, though there was a withdrawal period from their corn where they were ornery for about a week.
big_smile.png

Here is what I feed them. I am of course open to tweaking. All organic.

2 parts split peas
1 part flax meal
1 part alfalfa meal
1/4 cup kelp meal
1/4 cup calcium
3 heaping tablespoons of earthworms

(They are free range and mostly feed themselves as the weather warms)

I don't get nauseous from these eggs. Mission accomplished.
cool.png

Now to start on my garden. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I just thought I would give an update on where I am at with the grain free/soy free thing.

I ended up getting given a free flock of chickens a few days after I got the ducklings. Well...the ducklings caught a nasty something and all died. I had them separated from the chickens for 2 months and gradually introduced them, but that wasn't enough. :( I think I got them too young, they didn't stand a chance without the medicated starter and vaccines, in the future I'll get adults, let them get what they need for an immune system with Mom's help. (The way it should be)

The 8 chickens however did absolutely fine on a grain free/soy free diet over the winter. They are laying well and happy, though there was a withdrawal period from their corn where they were ornery for about a week.
big_smile.png

Here is what I feed them. I am of course open to tweaking. All organic.

2 parts split peas
1 part flax meal
1 part alfalfa meal
1/4 cup kelp meal
1/4 cup calcium
3 heaping tablespoons of earthworms

(They are free range and mostly feed themselves as the weather warms)

I don't get nauseous from these eggs. Mission accomplished.
cool.png

Now to start on my garden. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Cypress, this information is a great blessing. Thanks!

I'm sorry you lost your ducklings but I admit i am confused at the comments of too young, medicated starter and vaccines? I own Muscovy and my initial members of my flock were purchased as day olds, never given medicated feed and have no vaccines?

Obviously i have no idea what happened with yours but i do believe many go about there birds in the same way and do not encounter issues. Anyhow, glad you found a feed method that worked for your chickens and you.

Waterfowl are extremely hardy compared to chickens, and rarely if ever catch anything from chickens that would kill them. They are (as ducklings) very sensitive to diet change and lacking of niacin. They also chill very quickly, and until fully feathered should not be given open water to swim in. Then they also need water to clean their nares in with eatting. unlike mammals they don't get any antibodies or other protection from their mothers.

It sounds like you have great success with the chickens and can enjoy their eggs which is wonderful. Maybe stick with chickens only since you have found a feed system that works well for them and you both.

I brought up the vaccination because that is what a local duck vet said it might be. He lost 17 out of 20 Musckovies years back when introducing them to his flock from something similar. They would spin around in circles alot and just stopped eating.

Being taken from Mom so young was my thought. I can't imagine that is good for any creature. Part of the immune system issues I'm having now stem from not being breast fed as a child.

The peas and earthworms should have fulfilled the niacin requirements as both are fairly high in it. Folks around here chalked it up to one of those things that happen in life and encouraged me to try again in Spring. They didn't seem to think diet was the issue in this case.

I shouldn't say that all of them died this way. 3 of the 4 did. The 4th just disappeared one day and only exhibited symptoms briefly, getting better after anti-biotics. I chalk his death up to predators. :( He was fearless.

Anyway, hope that clears some things up. :) It is sad to have lost them, and I certainly don't want to repeat it, but this is all a learning experience for me.

Glad I could help some folks in turn!

I LOVE that you were planning on doing this grain free- we’re about to get our ducks and plan to do grain free also (all the exact reasons you have mentioned above- SO not worth it!- Gluten and me do not get along).
how has it gone ? Anything you have discovered you can share?

Excellent. Very helpful everyone thank you for your insight!
smile.png
I will look into grubs, crickets and the like from the pet store until I can get my own operation going. I have plenty of long grass for salad. Lol It'll be fun figuring out what they will come for. Sounds like they can eat nearly anything so long as they have enough protein. They will be free-range too so I will be watching to see what they like. Got plenty of mosquitoes for em!

Thanks again!
cool.png
Hi! I am about to get 8 ducks and I’d like to be eating grain free eggs. Could you tell me how this worked out for you? I’ll take a do’s and don’t do’s! Thank you!

Hi! I am about to get 8 ducks and I’d like to be eating grain free eggs. Could you tell me how this worked out for you? I’ll take a do’s and don’t do’s! Thank you!

Well...the ducklings caught a nasty something and all died

As for the comment
The peas and earthworms should have fulfilled the niacin requirements as both are fairly high in it
That is still rather hard to Do. I did the math last year to see if I could do enough peas per duckling to meat niacin needs and it ended up being like 2 cups of peas per duckling, which changes the rest of their diets nutrition. Not to mention, ducklings physically can't eat that much feed every day for multiple weeks, they're just too small

Back
Top Bottom