Grain mites in my mealworm colony?!!!

I have been able to keep the grain mites at bay. I microwave the wheat bran before using it, heating it and killing most eggs. I keep the mealworms separated by size. Once they get to about 1/3 adult size, they are growing so fast the mites are overcome. When I separate the eggs from the beetles (about once a month), I notice the bran is more susceptible to the mites. I keep this separated from all the other mealworms if I see any mites. I put this container into a larger bin, surrounded by Diatomaceous earth. The mites will migrate out of the mealworm bin, but can't get beyond this barrier, so the mites cannot spread out of control. Then just wait for the mealworms to grow. I do give them cut up carrots for moisture, which feeds the mites, but I figure the mealworms need it. Once the mealworms get to 1/3 adult size I sift the grain out with a frying oil splash screen and there go most of the mites. At this point I add only enough bran for a few days. The mealworms are growing so fast that the mites cannot reproduce fast enough. I don't rinse the mealworms.

The easiest method of getting grain mites in your worm colony under control is simply to let them dry out.

If you have shallow trays with lids, it's a simple task to leave the cover off for a few days until you notice the "fog" has disappeared. Putting the tray in a warm, dry spot helps hurry the process.

Mites are harmless. I've had more than my share of these annoying critters, and no harm has ever come to my larvae, pupae, or beetles. Let the meal worms consume the substrate, then be sure and replace it with heat treated grain.

I've experimented with all of the different methods of heat treating my grain, and I have had mites bloom in microwave treated bran and in freeze-treated bran. The only method that insures mites have been thoroughly killed is to oven treat the bran in cake pans at 250F for 45 minutes, allowing to slowly cool in the oven after shutting it off.

Try looking at those mites under a magnifying lens. They are fascinating creatures with many legs that propel them efficiently everywhere. Just don't get your nose too close and breathe in. I did that and got a snoot-full. Good times.

The easiest method of getting grain mites in your worm colony under control is simply to let them dry out.

If you have shallow trays with lids, it's a simple task to leave the cover off for a few days until you notice the "fog" has disappeared. Putting the tray in a warm, dry spot helps hurry the process.

Mites are harmless. I've had more than my share of these annoying critters, and no harm has ever come to my larvae, pupae, or beetles. Let the meal worms consume the substrate, then be sure and replace it with heat treated grain.

I've experimented with all of the different methods of heat treating my grain, and I have had mites bloom in microwave treated bran and in freeze-treated bran. The only method that insures mites have been thoroughly killed is to oven treat the bran in cake pans at 250F for 45 minutes, allowing to slowly cool in the oven after shutting it off.

Try looking at those mites under a magnifying lens. They are fascinating creatures with many legs that propel them efficiently everywhere. Just don't get your nose too close and breathe in. I did that and got a snoot-full. Good times.

Any concerns for the chickens that eat the mealworms that might have mites?

Can anyone help me how to separate my macro size superworms with mites in my colony? Need help ASAP. I don't want to dispose my colony :(

Thanks for the advice. I cleaned out the whole tank, nuked the new bedding in the microwave. Handpicked the worms ( all 1100 of them) washed the tank. Rinsed the worms with lukewarm water ( had a histeric fit because I thought I accidentaly drowned them all). Was very relieed to find them all well and alive the next morning put them back in their new bedding and clean tank. I keep an eye on humidity in the tank as well and so far ( keep fingers crossed please) a week later and no mites..... Phew

My kids "helped" feed our new colony almost a whole watermelon's worth of rind. It got pulled under and I did not notice it for a few days when the smell greeted me. Now I have more mites than worms.

All vegetable matter has been removed.

Will transport all worms into a strainer for a rinse and break out my bleach spray for the plastic drawer.

I have about 5000 in that drawer. finally have a few pupae transforming now mite palooza.

Have you checked the dust under a magnifying glass etc to be sure you have mites? Anything I can ever remember reading says to start over if you get a mite infestation. Don't know if you have seen this website on raising mealworms, they do have suggestions on preventing the mites. http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm Trying to clean the bigger worms might be worth a try. I had mites get in mine once or twice and it was just easier to toss the batch and start a new one, but I never had really big colonies.
I have the same problem. I would hate to wash them because I have animals at my house who have to have them so If I drown all 1,000+ of them I will have to drive a long way to get some. I hear that you keep saying that you are "feeding them _____ each day. I generally keep a apple halved in there with soem potatoes. Do I need to be feeding them daily instead of leaving it in there? If so, how much do I need to feed them of what?
check this video.

Here goes! I very bravely started my own mealworm farm about 3 weeks ago, all went super great until I noticed what I believe to be grain mites ( white dust like substance on the glas sides of the aquarium).

I would like to know if anyone has had success with cleaning out the container and putting in new bran and rinsing worms in water. I would realy hate to toss this colony. They have been doing so well? Would. O be able to save them if I wash the worms also? How should I go about saving my colony?
Hi.
Watch this video which is very helpful.

Helcio

It's been ten years since I posted on this thread. Since, I've discovered even heat treated substrate can harbor grain mites. I discovered that placing the wheat bran in a freezer at 0F or -18C for a couple of weeks. Kills all mites and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom