Grain mites...

Considered that too. I've been in contact with the store. They're contacting Purina.

So far everyone has been super helpful. I'd like some clean feed though. Going to buy a few smaller bags and store in the freezer for now.
If you can tell that it's infested the first or second day, Maybe a staging area would help. You bring the feed home, put it in the staging area (not carpeted, not inside) and open the bag. After you feel it's a good bag, it comes in to your regular storage area.
If this is possible to do, it could help.

I think you all posted your DE moats while i wrote that ...

So do these mites then get over the coop? Do you sprinkle DE or spray permethrin in the run and coop? I haven't had to deal with them yet

I have something else in one of my kinds of feed,.though

I found my food grade DE @ TSC, near the Equine area just past the refrigerator, or @ least it is @ my TSC.
For some reason, I had to order it online from my TSC. They were also sold out of the chicken boots I wanted, so boo to them. :bun

@aart I am so sorry to hear about your temporary relapse in dust-watching. Death to the invaders! ☠

I buy Dumor
For some reason, I had to order it online from my TSC. They were also sold out of the chicken boots I wanted, so boo to them. :bun

@aart I am so sorry to hear about your temporary relapse in dust-watching. Death to the invaders! ☠
It freaked me out when I saw a few the other day & just glad that I put my feed in 5gal TSC buckets! ☠💀👾💣🐛

Ok, forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits to transferring the feed to the 5 gallon buckets? I am just wrapping up my first year of chicken ownership and still need to learn all of these things :D
Maybe easier to deal with? I've had chickens for years and years and I have no idea either.

I know that lugging a near 40lb mite infested bag out of the house was horrible. Ack.

I know that lugging a near 40lb mite infested bag out of the house was horrible. Ack.
If I wasn't laughing, I'd be crying. But, I did not share your misfortune of housing all of those extra "pets" in my house, although I very nearly did keep some crumbles inside. My "visitors" were mainly isolated to my garage. You deserve a sympathy card with money in it.

Back
Top Bottom