Gran-i-grit for Layers - still available? and (2) does it make a diff?

MyBlackHen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Upstate New York
Hello,

I have been feeding my flock Gran-i-grit and I just noticed that the bag says "starter" -- I didn't realize it came in different sizes! My flock is now 6 months old and according to the Gran-i-grit website, they should be on "layer" size. My local Agway only carries starter and grower - they say they can't get layer; it is not available from their supplier. I am going to poke around the internet to see if I can order it (shipping costs = yikes!), but the two I have visited so far say "not available". So I am wondering if this manufacturer is still making the layer size?

Second question - does it matter much if I use grower vs. layer size? I would rather not have to pay the shipping charges if I don't need to. So far they seem perfectly healthy on the starter grit (they also get calcium chips which are larger), but I think I need to increase the size.

I appreciate any suggestions on this ... this is my first flock and I want to keep them healthy. Especially since they are already laying quite well!
big_smile.png

A related question - the calcium chips seem "gritty" but I believe they need the gran-i-grit because it is harder and acts as a better grit in their crops? The calcium chips will break down? Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for your help!

I live in VA so I don't know much about your area, but if there are any stores relating to or carrying products for bonsai/bonsai tree growers they may have the Gran-I-Grit
00ae.png
. As alot of bonsai tree growers use grit as a growing medium.

Back
Top Bottom