Grand Rapids area chicken processors?

MichiganWoods

DD (Artistic Digital Diva)
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
West Michigan
Just curious if anyone in the Grand Rapids (MI) area can direct me to their chicken processors. I was able to axe that first (mean) guy, but I sorta like the other ones.

I tried really hard not to get attached, gall-durn-it.
idunno.gif

I talked with my husband about it and he won't/can't axe them. Plus, it took me so long to kill, pluck and butcher just one, it will take me days to process the 7-8 I've got. I've heart the Amish are really good and fast at processing, and don't charge a whole bunch per bird. The problem is I've got no idea where they are!

My friends and I raise purebred ameraucanas black and blue large fowl and lavender bantam ameraucanas. We just got an order of 124, ameraucanas and 7 other brown egg layer pulletts. while you are getting your birds processed you could visit us and see our birds. We are north of Charlotte 11 miles. Grand Ledge address

Thank you very much for the information and the offer, Ameraucana Momma. That is quite a ways for me to drive though -- almost 2 hours just one way. I was hoping to find a processor closer to Grand Rapids, or Muskegon.

Did you ever have any luck with the processor hunt? I'm with you all the way on your description of where you are at and I cannot find anyone that knows who to ask! My son and husband tackled the job on the first three we had to do out of necessity, but they are avoiding now that we have two more, and I am attached to one... Mrs. Clucks turned out to be Mr. Clucks. And she and the other that turned out to be a roo are cock-a-doodle-dooing a LOT in our back yard, not helping at all in our plan to keep them secret, since they are not allowed. Stupid chickens. Stupid Plainfield township. I had to net them and put them in a small cage in the garage to have them deal with them tonight... and it still did not happen. If I can take them somewhere in the morning I will. And I would not mind at all if it was a farm and not an assasination for Mr. Clucks. He's a nice guy. Buff Orpington. The other is an Easter Egger male.
hu.gif
What did you do?

I've never had any of my chickens processed, but I know some of the people on the Michigan thread (where am I? where are you? in the social area) have had theirs done. If you go over there, you can ask on that thread and someone should be able to help. There are quite a few of us from the GR area.

I am over here in Muskegon. i can help you do some if you like. I am a bit slow too but I guess you get faster the more you practice?
smile.png

I've never had any of my chickens processed, but I know some of the people on the Michigan thread (where am I? where are you? in the social area) have had theirs done. If you go over there, you can ask on that thread and someone should be able to help. There are quite a few of us from the GR area.

I am over here in Muskegon. i can help you do some if you like. I am a bit slow too but I guess you get faster the more you practice?
smile.png

Thanks! I am in NE Grand Rapids. We only have two to 'process' right now, so driving very far is not practical. In the fall we will want to process about 4-5, so that may make more sense then. I think that my husband and boys are going to do it this afternoon or evening, since we did not come up with a close person/processor. I really appreciate the information and will keep it in mind in the fall! Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom