Grandpa's Treadle feeder vs. chicken condo feeder

I MOVED THE FEED-O-MATIC AGAINST THE BACK SCREEN DOOR WHERE THE CHICKENS CONGREGATE EVENINGS AND ONLY THE BLUE BREDA STUCK HER HEAD WAY INTO THE FEEDER. THE OTHER BIRDS JUST WATCHED. SHE ATE FROM THE FEEDER SEVERAL TIMES AND IT PEAKED INTEREST FROM THE OTHER 3 CHICKENS. THE DRAWBACK IS ONLY ONE CHICKEN FITS ON THE TREADLE SO THE OTHER CHICKENS DON'T FIT AND ARE NOT EVEN TRYING IT AFTER SHE GETS OFF. WE'LL SEE HOW MORNING GOES. I'LL ONLY HAVE THIS ONE FEEDER OUT TO SEE IF THE OTHER CHICKENS WILL TRY IT AFTER THE BLUE BREDA GETS OFF IT.

OK, keep us posted. I'm thinking it could take a few days.

My husband and I were about to make the $200 investment in the Grandpa's Treadle Feeder (after a lot of deliberation) and then we found the  Chicken Condo Feeder for about $100 less. (found it cheapest on wise pet supplies $99 + $20 shipping)) My hesitation is that I can not find a single review for this item. While I would love to save the money I only want to if it is a quality product. Has anyone out there used this item by chance? I have a feeling we may end up with Grandpa's feeder anyway but thought it was worth asking around.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

If you decide to go with Grandpas like I did, check out Amazon.com...I got the large one for about $130 something... I got an extra $50 off for applying for an Amazon card which covered the shipping with a few bucks extra...on Grandpas website shipping was going to be over $74 which would have been over $200! I went with it because the construction was better for the treddle and rodents (metal is better than some of the wooden ones I saw)

@caweis

See my Post #58 this thread re: Chicken Condos treadle feeder review.

I also purchased the smaller Feed-O-Matic treadle feeder to try but found the feed bin is recessed way too far back and the chickens don't seem to want to stick their head that far in -- plus it does not come assembled - you have to put it together - not difficult - but it is heavy for a smaller feeder in spite of the lighterweight plastic parts. Only one chicken can access this smaller feeder plus it is so low to the ground that even the Silkies don't want to use it. I find the treadle too light and sensitive that something like rats/mice can still trigger it. I will have to contact Feed-O-Matic to see if there is a way to remedy that with a setting other than what is recommended on their instructions.

Only one chicken has been using the smaller capacity Feed-O-Matic. The other chickens are being wary and have come near it but have not used.

The size of the Feed-O-Matic can be compared to the fireplace brick holding down the foot treadle.

I still like the Chicken Condos feeder better because the feed bin door is right upfront and not recessed way below the way Feed-O-Matic is. I also like the 20-lb capacity size of the Chicken Condos because at least 2 chickens can eat at it.

Our Silkie eating at the Chicken Condos feeder which fits nicely in the pen area under the coop. I like this treadle feeder that pushes in to open rather than the drop-down lid of Grandpa's style - if a chicken steps off the Grandpa's treadle the lid comes down fast on another chicken's neck when the other chicken steps off the treadle. Most of the wooden treadle feeders designed like Grandpa's have the drop-down lid and I don't trust them. Chickens can be so spooky jumpy and I just want to eliminate the possibility of scaring them with a drop-down lid. JMHO.

@caweis

See my Post #58 this thread re: Chicken Condos treadle feeder review.

I also purchased the smaller Feed-O-Matic treadle feeder to try but found the feed bin is recessed way too far back and the chickens don't seem to want to stick their head that far in -- plus it does not come assembled - you have to put it together - not difficult - but it is heavy for a smaller feeder in spite of the lighterweight plastic parts. Only one chicken can access this smaller feeder plus it is so low to the ground that even the Silkies don't want to use it. I find the treadle too light and sensitive that something like rats/mice can still trigger it. I will have to contact Feed-O-Matic to see if there is a way to remedy that with a setting other than what is recommended on their instructions.
Thanks for the update! I'll be interested to hear if you get feedback on changing/adjusting the treadle resistance from Feed-O-Matic.
When I emailed them about another question, they were very responsive.

Thanks for the update! I'll be interested to hear if you get feedback on changing/adjusting the treadle resistance from Feed-O-Matic.
When I emailed them about another question, they were very responsive.

I emailed Tyler but since this is Sunday I don't expect a reply today.

@jomoncon or @mamakat74 , did you raise your Feed-O-Matic feeder up on anything like pavers or was this even necessary?
Did your chickens have trouble reaching in for the food?

lynnehd, I did put my feeder on pavers. My problem was is that I have alfalfa hay in the covered run & the chickens kept scratching the hay under the treadle and it wouldn't go down. Since then, my girls have eaten all the hay, so that's no longer an issue. But even without the hay, I think raising the feeder up on pavers or bricks is a good idea. For some reason, even bare soil or sand gets scratched under the treadle preventing it from going down all the way. The chickens have no problems whatsoever reaching the food.

One thing that has not been mentioned if the noise that the feeder makes when it closes. There is definitely a banging sound. I live in the city, and my chicken run is about 30 feet from the house, where my bedroom is. I won't say the banging wakes me up, but you certainly can hear it. Maybe I have my counterweight set too high.

Jo-Ann

@jomoncon or @mamakat74 , did you raise your Feed-O-Matic feeder up on anything like pavers or was this even necessary?
Did your chickens have trouble reaching in for the food?

Hi lynnehd -

I tried raising the Feed-O-Matic on a paver stone to make it easier for the chickens to dip down and under the feeder but the Feed-O-Matic treadle will need to be set on a paver also or else the feeder will tip forward when the treadle is stepped on. The feeder is heavy for the smallest Feed-O-Matic size but apparently not balanced well and therefore will tip forwards when the chicken steps on the treadle if there is not a paver also under the treadle - the whole purpose to raise the feeder is defeated because of the imbalance of needing a paver under the treadle also. A larger Feed-O-Matic size like our Chicken Condos 20-lb feeder might be more stable but since I only have the smallest Feed-O-Matic I can only suppose. This afternoon one of the Silkies, besides the Breda, went into the feeder to eat - hurray! I am keeping the treadle down to keep the feed drawer open until all the chickens have learned there's goodies inside the "scary" new thing. After I see progress on more chickens using the open feeder I will gradually set the treadle in the closed position to see if they will use it in the closed position. For now the nasty House Sparrows have discovered the new feeder but I've positioned it at the back door where I can watch and chase them off. What I don't do for my chickens - sigh. My 20-lb Chicken Condos treadle feeder was not this much trouble. Again, I'm thinking the smallest size Feed-O-Matic may have been a mistake for me. Also, during assembly the feeder lid did not close completely - there was a little 3/8 inch gap on the right end of the lid showing the seed inside. The treadle is also so sensitive that something the weight of a rat will be able to open the lid. On the Chicken Condos a rat's weight on the treadle can't open the inward opening so I'm leaning toward liking my Chicken Condos 20-lb capacity more than the smallest Feed-O-Matic feeder. We'll see what Tyler from Feed-o-matic replies to my email.

Hi lynnehd -

I tried raising the Feed-O-Matic on a paver stone to make it easier for the chickens to dip down and under the feeder but the Feed-O-Matic treadle will need to be set on a paver also or else the feeder will tip forward when the treadle is stepped on. The feeder is heavy for the smallest Feed-O-Matic size but apparently not balanced well and therefore will tip forwards when the chicken steps on the treadle if there is not a paver also under the treadle - the whole purpose to raise the feeder is defeated because of the imbalance of needing a paver under the treadle also. A larger Feed-O-Matic size like our Chicken Condos 20-lb feeder might be more stable but since I only have the smallest Feed-O-Matic I can only suppose. This afternoon one of the Silkies, besides the Breda, went into the feeder to eat - hurray! I am keeping the treadle down to keep the feed drawer open until all the chickens have learned there's goodies inside the "scary" new thing. After I see progress on more chickens using the open feeder I will gradually set the treadle in the closed position to see if they will use it in the closed position. For now the nasty House Sparrows have discovered the new feeder but I've positioned it at the back door where I can watch and chase them off. What I don't do for my chickens - sigh. My 20-lb Chicken Condos treadle feeder was not this much trouble. Again, I'm thinking the smallest size Feed-O-Matic may have been a mistake for me. Also, during assembly the feeder lid did not close completely - there was a little 3/8 inch gap on the right end of the lid showing the seed inside. The treadle is also so sensitive that something the weight of a rat will be able to open the lid. On the Chicken Condos a rat's weight on the treadle can't open the inward opening so I'm leaning toward liking my Chicken Condos 20-lb capacity more than the smallest Feed-O-Matic feeder. We'll see what Tyler from Feed-o-matic replies to my email.

@lynnehd
Here's Rent-A-Coop's reply to me - surprised they answered on a Sunday! I haven't tried his suggestions yet so will try them tomorrow. I don't know how mealworms are supposed to stay on the open-grate treadle foot though? the wind blows them away or fall through the holes of the treadle. I let him know that putting the feeder on a paver stone to make the feed bin higher doesn't work because if the treadle foot is stepped on the feeder tips - the treadle foot also needs to be on a paver so that defeats the height adjustment of putting the feeder at a higher level for the chickens to reach. Having the treadle at the same level as the feeder doesn't help raise the low feed bin any. I'm sure chickens adapt to all kinds of things but needless to say I'm just a tad disappointed. And I'm surprised at how heavy this smallest Feed-O-Matic is. It weighs as much as my 20-b capacity Chicken Condos feeder. I let him know that his "video" was nothing more than a blurry reproduction of the instructions that came with the Feed-O-Matic. They need to change grams to pounds. We thought we understood the weight chart but apparently it needs some clearer modification. Guess there are always pros/cons to any product. However, I'm impressed with the instant customer service reply!!

Thank you for reaching out and asking these great questions. This is Tyler from RentACoop and I'm happy to help.

Your first question, about the weight setting, B1 is not recommended if you take a look at the chart. That setting is for a .75 pound chicken which I don't believe there are any :) What you want to set it at is B4 or A3 which would be 1.75lbs(A3) or 2.25 lbs (B4)

As for getting the other hens to use the feeder, they will always follow if one is using it. One thing you can do to speed up the process is to put some food on the green food pedal. They can see this food a little easier and while eating it, they will see the other food and start eating 75% of the time. You can also put some of their favorite treats in the food area so they get used to eating there. Mealworms will do the trick ;)

We have trained hundreds of hens in many different groups to use this feeder and all these steps combined were needed in different situations but I'm sure you will have luck when trying them.

If you have any additional questions please let us know and we will respond within half an hour. Thank you so much for being one of the first to purchase our feeder in the US and have a wonderful end of the weekend.

Tyler from RentACoop

@lynnehd
Here's Rent-A-Coop's reply to me - surprised they answered on a Sunday! I haven't tried his suggestions yet so will try them tomorrow. I don't know how mealworms are supposed to stay on the open-grate treadle foot though? the wind blows them away or fall through the holes of the treadle. I let him know that putting the feeder on a paver stone to make the feed bin higher doesn't work because if the treadle foot is stepped on the feeder tips - the treadle foot also needs to be on a paver so that defeats the height adjustment of putting the feeder at a higher level for the chickens to reach. Having the treadle at the same level as the feeder doesn't help raise the low feed bin any. I'm sure chickens adapt to all kinds of things but needless to say I'm just a tad disappointed. And I'm surprised at how heavy this smallest Feed-O-Matic is. It weighs as much as my 20-b capacity Chicken Condos feeder. I let him know that his "video" was nothing more than a blurry reproduction of the instructions that came with the Feed-O-Matic. They need to change grams to pounds. We thought we understood the weight chart but apparently it needs some clearer modification. Guess there are always pros/cons to any product. However, I'm impressed with the instant customer service reply!!
Thanks for the update!

Are you able to change the weight setting?
And I suppose you could use other larger treats on the treadle; berries, etc.

Also, I wonder if having other feeders available means that some chickens don't use it, because they can use something else? Kind of like trying to train chickens to use a nipple waterer when an open water dish is available?

Just thinking out loud.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom