Grandpa's Treadle feeder vs. chicken condo feeder

caweis

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
Norfolk, VA
My husband and I were about to make the $200 investment in the Grandpa's Treadle Feeder (after a lot of deliberation) and then we found the Chicken Condo Feeder for about $100 less. (found it cheapest on wise pet supplies $99 + $20 shipping)) My hesitation is that I can not find a single review for this item. While I would love to save the money I only want to if it is a quality product. Has anyone out there used this item by chance? I have a feeling we may end up with Grandpa's feeder anyway but thought it was worth asking around.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I would also be interested in hearing feedback about the Grandpa's Treadle feeder if any of you have used that as well.

I have a Grandpa's feeder and I love it. I think the main difference, having looked at both when I was shopping for one, is that the Grandpa's feeder is water/weather resistant and the Condo one isn't. So if yours will be in the coop itself or somewhere else that is entirely safe from rain, go for the cheaper one.

I bought a one of the taller treadle feeders. Not exactly the same as the condo ones, but very similar. They are good, but as someone said, they are best suited under cover. I found that they needed to be on bricks or paving stones to make sure they were level otherwise they tended to be a bit top-heavy and I was worried they might fall. They are great for my 'teenagers". I then bought some "chooketerias" which are very similar to the grandpa feeders. Brilliant! They have been left out in the rain and mud in the paddock for two years now and they are like new. Took the chooks a while to figure out how to operate them...my girls obviously not the brightest....but now I hear the lid open and shut all day long.

Sorry, am literally just off to work for the day. I will take some photos when I get home tonight if that helps? The one I like is called a "chooketeria".

I bought a one of the taller treadle feeders. Not exactly the same as the condo ones, but very similar. They are good, but as someone said, they are best suited under cover. I found that they needed to be on bricks or paving stones to make sure they were level otherwise they tended to be a bit top-heavy and I was worried they might fall. They are great for my 'teenagers". I then bought some "chooketerias" which are very similar to the grandpa feeders. Brilliant! They have been left out in the rain and mud in the paddock for two years now and they are like new. Took the chooks a while to figure out how to operate them...my girls obviously not the brightest....but now I hear the lid open and shut all day long.
X2
I have 2 treadle feeders
It is worth looking at trigger happy chicken feeder. very cheap and they should work. " I bought two but I haven't installed them yet"

Back
Top Bottom