Granny's gone and done it again

Never seen my chickens eat poop. I have seen them accidentally peck some then shake their heads in disgust Hahaa

Wishing, you asked about the leaves drying. Yes you can put them in the oven but theres something much easier. The MICROWAVE ! Sandwich them between some paper towels , set a plate on top then add a bowl of water for safety. 30 seconds then 15 sec. at a time checking them . However , that didnt work fast enough to suit me so I skipped the water and they dried completely in two 30 second intervals
Only add leaves that have browned and fell off the tree according to one site because green leaves will change your water parameters too much. Dried leaves will lower PH , add antimicrobial and antibacterial property to your water and creates a biofilm that shrimp love to eat and fish like to spawn in.
So fun little experiment there. they said they should sink in 24 hrs.Alder cones, catalpa AKA Indian almond, oak and magnolia leaves are all safe to my knowledge . It goes w/o saying I hope " Dont use poison oak . LOLOL
They may not eat it but they pick through it looking for something. When I clean the poop out of the nesting boxes they run over to pick through it.

I hope your pinched nerved doesn't rebel against all that work!

Excellent! You are a scientist at heart. :)
As for chickens and poo... the farm chickens loved nothing
more than scratching and pecking at piles of horse shi... manure. The fresher the better! nom nom

How many coops do you have now? I've lost count. :D
Nine! But two are duplexes.

As dead as the thread has been lately ? You must have been gone for far too long.
I think it averaged 10 pages a day!!

Sherry is heading back to Colorado June 7 I have mixed emotions about that as she is a good friend and fun to be around just NOT as an S.O...
Nice to have a good friend, sorry she doesn't live near you.

And then MIL's cactus bloomed today
Those are BEAUTIFUL!

Forgot... I wanted to ask, is your DD is going back to college in the fall or doing online?
Apparently a mix of online and in person. She fears the worst with the in person classes. People will probably be using hand sanitizer right, left and center. That will blow her head with migraines and make it impossible for her to attend class.

The same thing happened when she was a Jr in high school during the swine flu. She was home or came home many more days than she was in school. She kept going because she was supposed to go to Japan as part of an exchange and attendance at school was a requirement. Then the POS principal and teacher in charge of the program decided 3 weeks beforehand she couldn't go because "she might not be able to participate in all the activities if she got a migraine". Never mind that one of the Japanese students got sick while here in March and didn't participate in everything. Nevermind that her neurologist said she could safely go. Nevermind that even with all the migraines she was still a straight A student.

Near karma: one of the teacher chaperones fell on the steps of a temple, broke her leg and had to stay in Japan for weeks. She didn't participate in all the activities either. Unfortunately it wasn't the "right" teacher but she stayed with that teacher and they sent all the students, most under 18, home unaccompanied to O'Hare and sent a teacher there to meet them. Good thing there were no problems with the flight, if they had had to land somewhere else, most of the kids would have NO idea what to do. I'm sure they would have figured it out with parental help but seems to me that an adult in a hospital can take care of themselves until the school could send someone to hang with her. It isn't like the teacher that stayed spoke Japanese and could translate if necessary. In fact she still hadn't learned more than a few words of Japanese when DD2 did the same program 2 years later.

They may not eat it but they pick through it looking for something. When I clean the poop out of the nesting boxes they run over to pick through it.
One of my Red Stars did that this morning as I was cleaning their nesting box. When I looked closer under the old hay there were remnants of a broken egg with worms/maggots in it - what a high protein treat for her!?!

Back
Top Bottom