Granny's gone and done it again

Black Australorp. My new favorite breed! I've been "all EE" forEVER, but branched out this year, and I love these girls! In addition to everything I love about EEs (heat and cold hardy, peaceable in the flock, mellow and unflappable around people, productive, reputed to be non-broody), they are also dual-purpose (we put six cockerels in the freezer already), beautiful AND (wait for it!) they look like big crows, which I'm banking will help keep hawks away! It's working so far!
The hens I got are supposed to have BA in them, but they seem small. Could be the Black Silkie that was bred into them in the last generation. From my understanding the 5 toes only show up one generation down. We shall see. I also think because of the size and type of combs they have the other breed mixed in was Svort Hona. I saw some of the roosters had mulberry colored combs that were running around with the hens. So, now I'm outbreeding with the BSL for size. Gonna see what I get for a few rounds, when the gals start laying again.
BTW: I was very pleased to see them all out on the outer roost yesterday afternoon. Nice to see them getting acclimated to a peaceful environment. I almost feel like I've rescued the 4 gals.

I will never eat a much as I used to. That goes for most white food... sugar, flour, rice... Basically need to eat like I have diabetes so I don't get it.
Believe me it's worth the effort. Healthy eating is a lifestyle not a diet. I've been eating healthy all my life, never was one much for junk food or prepared foods, always made all my meals from scratch. I shop mostly the outer ring of the grocery store except for frozen veggies, flour, etc. I've switched out bread recently for flour tortillas because I make breakfast wraps in the morning, then no more wheat the rest of the day unless I've made a cake or pie. I only use butter and olive oil to cook, in spite of Popeye's wrath. Potato chips give me headaches.. there are flavor 'enhancers' in them. So, I'll just keep plugging away at eating well. Remember I said when I started adding the iodine to my diet, I started losing weight.. Went from a tight 10 to 8, and now I have some 6's just for when I go to town. Since the synthroid ran out, my 8's aren't falling off my butt as much, but I'm at least not as haggard looking either.

Here's our forecast for this week:
WeeklyForcast.png

Morning all, I have a drs appt. today at 1:30.
Goooooooooooood Morning Granny. Just came in from checking feeders and waterers, and taking 'snacks' out to the kids. Henri graced me with some pet time.. I'm so glad he remembered. Everything is so quiet outside.. no bickering, no fighting between cockerels.. It's almost scary!
I hope all goes well at the doctors office today.. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom