Granny's gone and done it again

I was very "mature" when I had my kids. Being an older parent has its drawbacks, but I knew what to expect and felt ready to take it all on... sleepless nights, constant attention to a tiny helpless person, and stinky diapers. Add in dogs and cats and other pets, and yes, more work, but again I felt prepared to deal with the feeding and the hair and the poop.

Kids got older and more self sufficient, so with more time on my hands, it was time to get chickens. We always had them when I was growing up, so I figured I knew what to expect and was ready to deal with the predators, the parasites, and yes, the poop. I found, however, I was not prepared for....
Spike.
Spike is "special." If the rest of the mob are over here, Spike is over there. If you put up a fence, she sees it as a personal challenge to get over. And when it's time to lay an egg, Spike can't just go lay in the coop like the rest of the mob... oh no, she has her own routine. First she comes to the kitchen window and makes herself known.

20180405_084000.jpg

Then she runs around the side of the house
20180405_084019.jpg

to wait at the garage door
20181113_103246.jpg

until I can let her in
20181113_103320.jpg

and she goes to her special dark corner next to the furnace.
20181113_103726.jpg

I never in my wildest dreams expected I'd have to play butler to a chicken, but there it is. I'm a slave to a fresh egg!
20181113_121955.jpg

I was very "mature" when I had my kids. Being an older parent has its drawbacks, but I knew what to expect and felt ready to take it all on... sleepless nights, constant attention to a tiny helpless person, and stinky diapers. Add in dogs and cats and other pets, and yes, more work, but again I felt prepared to deal with the feeding and the hair and the poop.

Kids got older and more self sufficient, so with more time on my hands, it was time to get chickens. We always had them when I was growing up, so I figured I knew what to expect and was ready to deal with the predators, the parasites, and yes, the poop. I found, however, I was not prepared for....
Spike.
Spike is "special." If the rest of the mob are over here, Spike is over there. If you put up a fence, she sees it as a personal challenge to get over. And when it's time to lay an egg, Spike can't just go lay in the coop like the rest of the mob... oh no, she has her own routine. First she comes to the kitchen window and makes herself known.

View attachment 1593400

Then she runs around the side of the house
View attachment 1593402

to wait at the garage door
View attachment 1593403

until I can let her in
View attachment 1593404

and she goes to her special dark corner next to the furnace.
View attachment 1593406

I never in my wildest dreams expected I'd have to play butler to a chicken, but there it is. I'm a slave to a fresh egg!
View attachment 1593407
:eek::lau What delivery service!!! No collecting eggs I’ve got to learn how you trained that one.:highfive:

Don't be sorry about needing sleep! Did you take him to urgent care? Hard to tell from pics if it's scarlet fever or not. Hope he's feeling better.
Doesn't scarlet fever carry a threat of heart problems? I would get him checked.

I'm not sure who trained who!

I was wondering what kind of mileage your big truck gets.
4-5 mpg “empty” 92,000 lbs
2-3 mpg loaded 240,000 lbs
The way I look at it that’s pretty good. For the weight I move a 3000 lbs Toyota Preis would have to get over 100 mpg to match my efficiency.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom