Granny's gone and done it again

I was very "mature" when I had my kids. Being an older parent has its drawbacks, but I knew what to expect and felt ready to take it all on... sleepless nights, constant attention to a tiny helpless person, and stinky diapers. Add in dogs and cats and other pets, and yes, more work, but again I felt prepared to deal with the feeding and the hair and the poop.

Kids got older and more self sufficient, so with more time on my hands, it was time to get chickens. We always had them when I was growing up, so I figured I knew what to expect and was ready to deal with the predators, the parasites, and yes, the poop. I found, however, I was not prepared for....
Spike.
Spike is "special." If the rest of the mob are over here, Spike is over there. If you put up a fence, she sees it as a personal challenge to get over. And when it's time to lay an egg, Spike can't just go lay in the coop like the rest of the mob... oh no, she has her own routine. First she comes to the kitchen window and makes herself known.

View attachment 1593400

Then she runs around the side of the house
View attachment 1593402

to wait at the garage door
View attachment 1593403

until I can let her in
View attachment 1593404

and she goes to her special dark corner next to the furnace.
View attachment 1593406

I never in my wildest dreams expected I'd have to play butler to a chicken, but there it is. I'm a slave to a fresh egg!
View attachment 1593407
Lol, sounds like some of the stuff I do around here.
Your garage is so clean. At least no one is going to eat her egg. Except you,!

Last edited:
Morning all, I hope Bubba and Cap are feeling better.
scarlet fever untreated can turn into rheumatic fever causing heart problems . I dont think thats his problem. I believe it viral. But we aint drs and I hope you get good news. Cap, bursitis is painful but I dont think thats what you have either. Just dont add up.
Boy toy, You are funny ! Tell me what you want me to call you thats shorter then your BYC name ? I remember them explosion days. LOL
Wishing, hahahaa Spike is "special" .
H20, hugs. I seen round worms in the kitten and dog eating from litter box so I bought the stuff for that.

Morning all, I hope Bubba and Cap are feeling better.
scarlet fever untreated can turn into rheumatic fever causing heart problems . I dont think thats his problem. I believe it viral. But we aint drs and I hope you get good news. Cap, bursitis is painful but I dont think thats what you have either. Just dont add up.
Boy toy, You are funny ! Tell me what you want me to call you thats shorter then your BYC name ? I remember them explosion days. LOL
Wishing, hahahaa Spike is "special" .
H20, hugs. I seen round worms in the kitten and dog eating from litter box so I bought the stuff for that.
Granny, it is more effective to get a wormer that covers everything. Most of the time you have no idea what they have unless you do a fecal. Plus you can use the safeguard on chickens. I just have too many to treat indivually right now. So I use the water method. If I ever get my numbers down I would dose them individually. Much more exact science.

4-5 mpg “empty” 92,000 lbs
2-3 mpg loaded 240,000 lbs
The way I look at it that’s pretty good. For the weight I move a 3000 lbs Toyota Preis would have to get over 100 mpg to match my efficiency.:thumbsup
I thought the difference between empty and loaded would be bigger.

Lol, sounds like some of the stuff I do around here.
Your garage is so clean. At least no one is going to eat her egg. Except you,!
Well, that carefully selected picture makes it look a little clean!

It is too cold to go out and take pictures. 32 degrees.
I can't wait for the rain. Hurry up Wednesday!

well, Didnt mean to run everyone off. :frow
Oh, my coughing attack ended, so I fell back asleep.

Back
Top Bottom