Granny's gone and done it again

What happened to his foot ?
No clue, checked for infection and started him on echinacea.. and washed the leg and foot with warm water and tea tree oil.. found no wounds, breaks in skin or anything other than his toe is bending backward at the joint when he limps along.. No sign of injury or strain anywhere up the leg so I figure he twisted the toe, or toes and that's causing the limp.. So I splinted it to give him some support. There is comfrey root on the padding inside the piece of tubing I used on the bottom side only, then vet wrapped it in place. Hopefully he'll get back to his goofy self, jumping on my shoulder when I'm sitting in the coop. He's still able to roost on a hoe handle, and is eating well.. time will tell.

He doesnt happen to get more treats then chicken food does he ? I mean, could it be a vitamin is needed ?
only treats he eats are scrambled eggs in the morning with the echinacea sprinkled on it.. he doesn't eat grapes or much watermelon as it lays there. He starter/grower feed is going down steadily so he's eating well. Little snot pecked at one of the cucumbers hanging on the garden fence, then walked away without eating much of it.

We had a hodgepodge of grill stuff... some tri tip (beef) and chicken. Stuff that was getting petty ripe in the fridge!

Cap, very sorry about your FIL. Hope your DH is doing okay.
gas or charcoal ? I made 4 meals of my steak and the dogs made 2 seconds of Toms.

only treats he eats are scrambled eggs in the morning with the echinacea sprinkled on it.. he doesn't eat grapes or much watermelon as it lays there. He starter/grower feed is going down steadily so he's eating well.
Your right on the ball with the natural remedy's. I like that.

No clue, checked for infection and started him on echinacea.. and washed the leg and foot with warm water and tea tree oil.. found no wounds, breaks in skin or anything other than his toe is bending backward at the joint when he limps along.. No sign of injury or strain anywhere up the leg so I figure he twisted the toe, or toes and that's causing the limp.. So I splinted it to give him some support. There is comfrey root on the padding inside the piece of tubing I used on the bottom side only, then vet wrapped it in place. Hopefully he'll get back to his goofy self, jumping on my shoulder when I'm sitting in the coop. He's still able to roost on a hoe handle, and is eating well.. time will tell.
Natural healing! Sounds great and if he manages to eat any of it, probably won't do any harm.

Excuse my unsolicited advice, but the best roost for chickens is a 2X4, flat side up. Chickens don't have the kind of feet that grip easily like songbirds do. In the wild, they will find a nice wide branch to roost on. His toe might heal better roosting on flat feet.

Back
Top Bottom