Granny's gone and done it again

1600698689494.png

I hear you. Does she have the crazy gray green Marek's eyes? Pinpoint pupils that are oddly shaped.

The only blind birds I have right now are my one eyed roosters who don't have the common sense not to fight with somebody bigger and tougher than they are. Thank goodness.

At one point I had three birds with Ocular Marek's. What seemed to kill those birds was either pressure on their brains or metastatic growths that went to their brains causing strokes.

I would be scared to death to bring in birds or eggs from a non NPIP breeder. My original birds came from an NPIP brooder for all the good that did me. Breeding for resistance is great if the resistance is for the right strain of Marek's disease. My local Amish barnyard mixes are doing well but that's why I'm going the Fayoumi route although I do have SDW OEGBs that I got vaccinated that are doing really well. My EF's came from M McM hatchery. If I add any more they will be from Cackle or M McM and in spite of their natural resistance I do have them vaccinated. I'm tired of burying birds..
@microchick , so sorry for your losses!

No her irises are still orange-ish... it is the pupil that is an opaque grey or whitish, giving her a dead look, and on closer inspection it isn't completely round. There is no paralysis.... I think she can see a little bit, but not clearly. In these pics, the pupil is not reflecting anything. The pics were taken in natural afternoon day light. She is molting and not taking very good care of herself. Not preening or dustbathing. She bumps into the other birds if not isolated and gets pecked, then self-isolates. I feel sad for her. She just seems lost, puzzled, bewildered. @azygous has suggested saline eye wash and antibiotic eye ointment (will be using neosporin original formula), which I will try for a while. Just wish I had a dx! The other chickens'eyes have a bright, glossy black pupil, not like hers at all. She looks like a zombie, my poor little Undead chicken. 😔

View attachment 2342462

View attachment 2342462View attachment 2342464

View attachment 2342465
Could it be an ulcer or cataracts?

Back
Top Bottom