Granny's gone and done it again

another big sigh.. Surgeon said I will need surgery but my blockages are severe and he suspects its also in my aortic and he might need to do open surgery. Another test to find out for sure but by listening to my pulses and looking at my legs he seems to think its pretty bad. He cant do it in Madison either. I will need to go to one of the bigger hospitals in Louisville.
Louisville, KY?

Most of my hens are 3 years plus. Some pushing 5 so I'm not surprised that the bulk aren't laying. Our winters here are pretty rough especially Dec, Jan and Feb.

I do have 6 bantam pullets and 3 EF pullets I hatched this past spring. They are laying but now full force. Getting maybe 10 eggs a week from the bantams and 3-4 from the EFs. When it turns colder they take the day off.

I've used lighting before. Usually they have natural light from the pop door and two windows. If it's really cloudy and rainy out I will plug in a light for them during normal daylight hours.

Years ago I got in the habit of saving eggs back starting in the fall. We eat eggs sporadically, mainly use them hardboiled or in cooking/baking. Right now I have about 4 dozen on hand which should hold me till February when they start laying again and the bantams are giving me enough fresh eggs for meals and the like. My girls stick around until they leave this realm of existence due to age or infirmity. I promised myself when I hatched this spring that I wouldn't hatch this year. I want to decrease my flock until I have only bantams and my Fayoumis. I'll see what 2023/24 brings before I decide whether or not to hatch more EFs in 24.
What are EFs, MC?

I had a good day today! Can always tell when I don't hurt bc I'll be in the kitchen! Made a spinach-artichoke dip, SO good.... and country fried steak for The Msn, GirlChild and me, with gravy and a side of cheddar-broccoli rice. Not bad. Haven't had beef in weeks. We get TheKid again this weekend for winter break. 🙂

Ditto on the big Sigh.

Me too @CapricornFarm. BTW ceiling looks fabulous.

Granny, hang in there. There is always a plan B. Remember that.
Thanks Becky, it looks even better tonight since i got a second coat on it today.
20221206_154148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom