Granny's gone and done it again

Morning all, Im so confused. I know, whats new right? I got a phone call for the CT scan and I made the appt. then after I hung up I realized it was for my hips.
So are they doing an abdominal ct also, Granny? Find out and if they are, call the hospital back and tell them that due to transportation restrictions you need to do them both at the same time.

They can swing that. Trust me. Been there done that.

Well, my hens is still with me. I treated her for parasites just incase. Never can go wrong doing that when you don't know what else to do.

Also got her down and put her on the floor and watched her. From what I am suspecting she has sustained an injury. She cannot stand up straight on her right leg. It seems weak but is supporting her. Her left leg is useless to support weight from the knee down. Resistance to movement in the thigh. She hobbled a few steps then flew up to the lowest roost bar which was a positive move. No wing paralysis.

Suspecting at this time that she has fallen or gotten knocked off a roost bar and sustained a spine injury of some sort below the wing level. She is controlling her bowel which is good. I'm hoping that rest and pain medicine will help her along.

I put a cardboard box up where she has been sitting which is in a food tray that I have on top of the nesting boxes for the Black breasted red bantam and bantam cross roosters to eat out of. The Other bantam roosters have restricted them to that area. Yeah, weird but they are chickens so what are you gonna do? Moved the food tray down so she has food on one side and water in the other filled it with straw and pine chips for her and plopped her down in it. She wasn't sure at first if she like this idea then sank down in the straw. The BBR roosters that she hangs with can share the box with her to keep her warm. Now we wait and see. If she doesn't get better I will do the humane thing for her but for now, it's wait and see.

I like this, Number 11 for me.
THINGS TO TEACH YOUR SON
1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
2. Don’t enter a pool by the stairs.
3. The man at the BBQ Grill is the closest thing to a king.
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
5. Request the late check-out.
6. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
7. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
8. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
9. Play with passion or don’t play at all…
10. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look them in the eye.
11. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
12. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
13. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
14. You marry the girl, you marry her family.
15. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
16. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
17. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room.
18. Never turn down a breath mint.
20. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
22. Eat lunch with the new kid.
23. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
24. Ask your mom to play. She won’t let you win.
25. Manners maketh the man.
26. Give credit. Take the blame.
27. Stand up to Bullies. Protect those bullied.
28. Write down your dreams.
29. Take time to snuggle your pets, they love you so much and are always happy to see you.
30. Be confident and humble at the same time.
31. If ever in doubt, remember whose son you are and REFUSE to just be ordinary!
32. In all things lead by example not explanation.
33. Dress how you want to be addressed
34. BE BLESSED BY BEING A BLESSING
Author Unknown
And 34's not bad.

I didn’t know chickens could get botulism.
Oh they sure can. I lost two birds to the same symptoms after I had cleaned out my coop last spring. Usually I clean by tossing the litter out the big pop door in the shed, then we open the run and DH brings in the tractor, scoops the offerings up in the bucket and carries them out to be spread on the pasture for fertilizer.

Well this year I had a nice day, got out, cleaned the coop, and since I have to the the birds locked up to open up the run figured the next day DH could get out in the morning and spread the poop where it was needed.

They changed the forecast. They were calling for rain the next night. Woke up and it was pouring and poured for what seemed like weeks. It was warm, the chickens were out digging in the old bedding which very quickly got hit by flies and the flies made maggots which the birds were feasting on.

I think that is where the botulism came from. I read somewhere after somebody on the forum, can't remember who, suggested botulism to me anymore. But I started doing research and read where if you have any food debris in your bedding (who doesn't, let's face it, our chooks are pigs) and maggots eat the wet nasty feed residue, they can pass botulism on to the chickens who eat it.

That was new knowledge to me. I don't know how many times I've read about people making road kill buckets for their chickens so they could eat the larvae from dead critters they put in the bucket. EEEEWWWWW. But it seems like the controlling factor is the feed residue that if wet and lays around, can cause the problems.

I have to admit I never would have connected the two. Those hens were constantly in that pile of composting bedding scratching away and turning it but I lost a young rooster and a hen with the same symptoms. Guess I'm lucky I didn't lose more and it was a lesson learned the hard way.

the ct scans are from 2 different hospitals. The reason the vein dr wants a ct scan is because the US they already did at the other hospital didnt show what he needed. I know it dont make sense to me either. This one will be with contrast I have to drink. Thats for the hip dr. If I have to cancel one it will be this one. I will ask though.

So are they doing an abdominal ct also, Granny? Find out and if they are, call the hospital back and tell them that due to transportation restrictions you need to do them both at the same time.

They can swing that. Trust me. Been there done that.

Well, my hens is still with me. I treated her for parasites just incase. Never can go wrong doing that when you don't know what else to do.

Also got her down and put her on the floor and watched her. From what I am suspecting she has sustained an injury. She cannot stand up straight on her right leg. It seems weak but is supporting her. Her left leg is useless to support weight from the knee down. Resistance to movement in the thigh. She hobbled a few steps then flew up to the lowest roost bar which was a positive move. No wing paralysis.

Suspecting at this time that she has fallen or gotten knocked off a roost bar and sustained a spine injury of some sort below the wing level. She is controlling her bowel which is good. I'm hoping that rest and pain medicine will help her along.

I put a cardboard box up where she has been sitting which is in a food tray that I have on top of the nesting boxes for the Black breasted red bantam and bantam cross roosters to eat out of. The Other bantam roosters have restricted them to that area. Yeah, weird but they are chickens so what are you gonna do? Moved the food tray down so she has food on one side and water in the other filled it with straw and pine chips for her and plopped her down in it. She wasn't sure at first if she like this idea then sank down in the straw. The BBR roosters that she hangs with can share the box with her to keep her warm. Now we wait and see. If she doesn't get better I will do the humane thing for her but for now, it's wait and see.
Give her some prednisone

Oh they sure can. I lost two birds to the same symptoms after I had cleaned out my coop last spring. Usually I clean by tossing the litter out the big pop door in the shed, then we open the run and DH brings in the tractor, scoops the offerings up in the bucket and carries them out to be spread on the pasture for fertilizer.

Well this year I had a nice day, got out, cleaned the coop, and since I have to the the birds locked up to open up the run figured the next day DH could get out in the morning and spread the poop where it was needed.

They changed the forecast. They were calling for rain the next night. Woke up and it was pouring and poured for what seemed like weeks. It was warm, the chickens were out digging in the old bedding which very quickly got hit by flies and the flies made maggots which the birds were feasting on.

I think that is where the botulism came from. I read somewhere after somebody on the forum, can't remember who, suggested botulism to me anymore. But I started doing research and read where if you have any food debris in your bedding (who doesn't, let's face it, our chooks are pigs) and maggots eat the wet nasty feed residue, they can pass botulism on to the chickens who eat it.

That was new knowledge to me. I don't know how many times I've read about people making road kill buckets for their chickens so they could eat the larvae from dead critters they put in the bucket. EEEEWWWWW. But it seems like the controlling factor is the feed residue that if wet and lays around, can cause the problems.

I have to admit I never would have connected the two. Those hens were constantly in that pile of composting bedding scratching away and turning it but I lost a young rooster and a hen with the same symptoms. Guess I'm lucky I didn't lose more and it was a lesson learned the hard way.
How do you know it was botulism and not mareks. Did you do a necropsy?

How do you know it was botulism and not mareks. Did you do a necropsy?
No, but one was an Fayoumi. Neither presented with paralysis. Diarrhea, weight loss, not eating, just lethargic and pitiful. I put the rooster down, the hen rallied but then died. Thought maybe parasites at first but there was no response to the worming medicine.

That's when somebody mentioned that it could be botulism. Yeah, but now looking back, there wasn't any paralysis like they say happens in botulism.

Crap, now back to square one as to what killed them.

Thanks for the tip on the pred. I've got a bottle. I'll see if I can't whittle down a small piece and give it to her tonight.

Back
Top Bottom