Granny's gone and done it again

HI Granny, I am tired tonight. We stapled bird netting in the crawl space to hold the insulation in place between the joists. It's hard on the knees, neck, shoulders and arms. We got half of it done.
yikes! That would of taken me a couple weeks to do

I also watered all the gardens, it hasn't rained in quite a while. And I stapled wire to the third raised strawberry bed. One piece left to do, it was getting too dark to see what I was doing.
Any picture of this? Im not understanding what you were doing I guess

1714012846571.png

https://seedtime.us/

Lots of good info here plus a good growing calculator
I looked into it and had really rather use my trusty spread sheet for logging info as to date planted, how many or how much or row length and numbers. Variety and days to harvest. I group according to the analysis plant food to use to. I can't afford to follow a social mantra and spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for a half bushel at most of sweet potatoes so I could brag about how I did it with out manual labor building a simple ridge by using containers so there was no bending or weeding and grown in pure compost. Compost made the people a ton of beautiful vines for livestock to eat but they had at least $20 worth of potatoes for spending a lot of time filling tubs with factory bagged sterile compost. My neighbors did as I did and with his variety got 13.5 lbs from one hill from a ridge in the early 80's from heavy black clay soil in N MO that stayed soft all summer long. Sweet potatoes like poor soil not lots of nitrogen. They like a modest amount of phosphorous and potash. I have watched so many people have problems on YouTube trying to do things and fail because it was PC correct.

Last edited:
We ate early and then went out and did some watering. Then tackled the brooder. Sanitized it and put down some puppy pee pads for the first couple of days and then shavings will be added after taking up the pee pads. Learned that the hard way. What hatched M, T, and today had their sugar water first and now are eating like crazy their starter grower. The other end of the brooder 4 week old chicks go outside to the big brooder house in the morning.

About 7pm the sprinklers were turned on the garden where the taters are growing and at 11pm I'm moving the sprinkler heads to the next stations and they will run there until I get out early in the morning. The whole garden plot there will be totally irrigated for at least a week. No real chance of rain forecast here for another 10 days. I'm so thankful for a deep well and good pump. I can only pump about 6-7 gallons a minute but it does add up. Tomatoes and sweet potatoes will get a 1/2" tube line with a drip emitter at each plant. I think a 1/2 gallon an hour flow rate per plant. No need to waste water on the middles water where weeds like to grow. It's after 10 I see. How time flies when you are out playing in the dirt having fun. I'm in my second childhood for sure. It will be wet enough out there tomorrow to make mud pies.... :)

Sounds like you had a good day Larry
We tried. If the steroid shot would just kick in and I can kill a sweet tooth for a few months. We are going to be eating a lot of salad with cucumbers and bib lettuce with small amounts of tomato. Nothing white other than cauliflower unless in just a taste at a time. We did rest a lot. No choice today. When time came to plant more of the sweet potatoes and a few tomatoes and peppers we played it smart and stayed in resting more. By morning the shot should be working.

Back
Top Bottom