grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all
bow.gif
was just worried and I have different breeds this year. Of course there is going to be one stupid/greedy chicken that manages to choke on one.

Granny #3 and red #5 for big mouths yesterday LOL

Last edited:
I'm going to try some this winter as a greens supplement. My birds are so used to getting garden scraps that winter can be very lacking. I usually buy cabbage for them, because its cheaper than some of the other greens available in the grocery store. I would really love to have a root cellar that I could store a lot of the fall crops for my family & for the birds.
For the straight alfalfa, 1 bale has about 15 3" "flakes" For 15 hens, I usually throw a flake every couple weeks. They love it and it's so easy. Our hay is HIGH$$, costs about $1.00 a flake.

Quote:
thankfully I haven't had to buy alpha for the hens but I know there is some (not Much) in the prarrie hay that I put up every year. Mainly brome. Horses love brome and sure makes for a nice shinny coat. The hens have a high old time rooting thru the extra hay that gets thrown around in the coop when I change out the hay in the next boxes.
I don't have a place to store hay or fields to grow it, so I use wood shavings in my nest boxes. Usually on the coop floor as well, but I'm going to try to keep the contractors sand on my coop floors for as long as I can this year. Buying bales of wood shavings gets costly & this year I will have 4 coops running thru the winter.

I use stall fresh under wood shavings for the coops floors. then what ever is left in the nest boxes when putting in new stuff plus what ever extra fresh that I brought with me.

The protein level is mainly the difference in those feeds except for the layer feed. That has added calcium which is unhealthy for chicks

Alfalfa is easy for me with the horses. I always keep a "flake" in the run for them. They LOVE the leaves and flowers. It does make such a pretty yolk too! 

thankfully I haven't had to buy alpha for the hens but  I know there is some (not Much) in the prarrie hay that I put up every year.  Mainly brome.   Horses love brome and sure makes for a nice shinny coat.  The hens have a high old time rooting thru the extra hay that gets thrown around in the coop when I change out the hay in the next boxes. 

I don't have a place to store hay or fields to grow it, so I use wood shavings in my nest boxes. Usually on the coop floor as well, but I'm going to try to keep the contractors sand on my coop floors for as long as I can this year. Buying bales of wood shavings gets costly

I use stall fresh under wood shavings for the coops floors.  then what ever is left in the nest boxes when putting in new stuff plus what ever extra fresh that I brought with me. 
That's what I use too. Its called PDZ. I sprinkle it on the poop board with the sand as well. Really easy to pooper scoop in the morning when I let them out.

I'm going to try some this winter as a greens supplement. My birds are so used to getting garden scraps that winter can be very lacking. I usually buy cabbage for them, because its cheaper than some of the other greens available in the grocery store. I would really love to have a root cellar that I could store a lot of the fall crops for my family

For the straight alfalfa, 1 bale has about 15 3" "flakes" For 15 hens, I usually throw a flake every couple weeks. They love it and it's so easy. Our hay is HIGH$$, costs about $1.00 a flake.

WOW  :eek:   bales of 2nd cutting alpha  is about $3.00 a standard bale here.   Second cutting is usually pure alpha up here.
Wow mutt, you alfalfa hay is terribly high. I can purchase a bale for 4 dollars here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom