granulated sugar

besseblack

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
Utah
Hi all! First time post. Every question I've ever had has already been answered on this most excellent site...but today I've got something!

I had an oopsie in my cold storage room today and dumped about 10 lbs of granulated sugar on the ground (sigh). I'm not real excited to use gritty sugar in cookies, but hate to see it go to waste. Can it be metered out to my chickens as a treat? Any risks? I wouldn't want my girls to get beak-decay and have to see the dentist or anything. :)

I wouldn't feed it to the chickens for fear of causing diarrhea and productivity issues. If you know someone who feeds hummingbirds or bees, that could avoid having to throw it away entirely.

Good idea on feeding bees. Two or three hives would fly through that this spring feeding easy. They get sugared pre late spring blooms to promote brood build up. If there isn't a pollen/nectar run they won't even build comb so sugar water is needed to get the hive up in numbers for the real runs.

Then again, it could be time to purchase a humming bird feeder. They are fun to watch fighting over feeding. Such aggressive birds for being so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom