Grapes without Grit

Wysteria68

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
I have chicks that are around 2-3 weeks old. Last night, on a whim, we gave them a couple cut up grapes to play with and eat. I hadn't planned to give them any treats already and so didn't have grit laying around and honestly didn't think of it until this morning. I know, I know! I can't believe that after ALL the reading I've done I would completely blank on that! My question to you is, are they gonna be okay if I give them grit when I get home this afternoon? I'm so worried and I'm stuck at work at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you!

they will be fine as grapes are soft and if they had seeds they will stay there till softened up or ground ...just give them a little grit when you get home....jeff

They were seedless. And thank you so much! I'm over here with my tummy doing nervous somersaults :-/ I really appreciate the response!

grit acts like teeth for chickens. inside the gizzard (a muscle) the grit helps grind up the food, things like long blades of grass, worms, bugs, larger pieces of food, etc.
since grapes are so soft, it doesn't seem that important to have grit to eat grapes. maybe for the skins. but in general, yes, grit is good for them and necessary if you feed them anything other than their chick feed. they will find their own grit in nature, small pebbles and sand.

Back
Top Bottom