GRAPHIC! Chicken missing toes

That looks like an old case of frostbite. Where do you live? What was the weather like right before you brought him indoors to live?

To get frostbite on toes, he had to have been exposed to freezing temperatures and wet conditions, such as walking in puddles as the temperature was dropping with an incoming freeze event back in December.

Now there is nothing to do about it. His immune system is cleaning house and getting rid of his dead and damaged tissue. The black parts will be falling off soon. Then the swelling will subside and he will have short toes with no talons. That will make it hard for him to scratch around in the soil, but otherwise, he should do just fine.

Could it be nutritional? He feels more boney than normal too, I'm gonna scramble some eggs for him and give him extra mealworms.

Hes normally inside a 3 ft metal tub, similar to what tractor supply house their chicks in, the lid is a metal mesh lid similar to chicken wire but thicker and tinier holes. The bedding is mainly pine bedding but I have pine pellets at the bottom and its around 1 ft deep. It was freezing at the end of December so I think youre right, he most likely got it before i brought him in , it dropped down to 12 °f on christmas morning. And sorry, I noticed the tips were gone and then soaked because I read online i needed to keep it clean. the feet werent super soiled, but there was some muck on the ends where the skin is gone. His sisters feets were complete clean and fine. He also had a bad habit the first few weeks of tipping his waterer over.I will try and take some more pics of him soon.
OK so he was in 12F weather 2 months ago before you brought him inside. That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Then I would agree it's frostbite instead of something else.

I think you are on the right track with keeping the feet clean and putting him on puppy pads. The one toe that is still black, he will likely lose that one too. Looks like they are healing up, it's just going to take time.

Can you separate him in his own cage but still have a hen for him near buy so he isn't alone? See by no touch so she can't do any more damage is great. Also try to offer electrolytes in his water, it may not be necessary but it never hurts, and keep him on the rooster booster for extra vitamins.

OK so he was in 12F weather 2 months ago before you brought him inside. That makes more sense, thanks for the clarification.

Then I would agree it's frostbite instead of something else.

I think you are on the right track with keeping the feet clean and putting him on puppy pads. The one toe that is still black, he will likely lose that one too. Looks like they are healing up, it's just going to take time.
Oh my poor baby 😭 should I use some vetericyn spray on them instead of hen healer or just leave them be?

Can you separate him in his own cage but still have a hen for him near buy so he isn't alone? See by no touch so she can't do any more damage is great. Also try to offer electrolytes in his water, it may not be necessary but it never hurts, and keep him on the rooster booster for extra vitamins.
I have them sperated but that's smart! They been crying to eachother and them still seeing each other may help! And ill add some electrolytes.

Would you worry about causing pain to the toes when you touch them, by applying hen healer? I have read that touching frost bitten areas can irritate them and cause pain. I could be wrong though, just curious! :D
Those toes are healing already see the scabs?
IF freshly frostbitten and in the process of dying, then yes it would be painful.
Feet and toes are often treated a little differently, they may have to be handled, let's face it, even if the bedding is meticulously cleaned several times a day, the feet will inevitably get soiled.

Combs, you would leave alone.

Those toes are healing already see the scabs?
IF freshly frostbitten and in the process of dying, then yes it would be painful.
Feet and toes are often treated a little differently, they may have to be handled, let's face it, even if the bedding is meticulously cleaned several times a day, the feet will inevitably get soiled.

Combs, you would leave alone.
Got it, that makes sense. Thank you!

i think it could have been frostbite, and he took the natural path and let the dead tissuse fall off. i think you should take him into the bathroom after you take a shower when its warm and humid, and let him warm up, and put some hydrogen peroxide on it to kill the germs.
good luck!! you can do it, ok?

i think it could have been frostbite, and he took the natural path and let the dead tissuse fall off. i think you should take him into the bathroom after you take a shower when its warm and humid, and let him warm up, and put some hydrogen peroxide on it to kill the germs.
good luck!! you can do it, ok?
Hydrogen peroxide c as n act sly damage living tissue, snd be painful. Vetrycin and Hen healer are a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom