(Graphic) Eggtopsy of a day 24 call duck egg

FunnyfarmMidwest

Call Duck obsessed! 🦆💕
Mar 14, 2020
This is going to be a graphic post for some but maybe some will find it interesting.

I frequently hatch call ducklings and am experienced in assisting them. 24 days ago I started my journey with my first Show Quality call duck eggs. I candle often to check for bruises or internal pips.

When doing my check/candle this morning, I noticed that all the veins had receded from this little one. It had movement and was alive earlier yesterday. No movement so I removed it from the incubator. This one has always had a much smaller air cell than the others. I assume it didn’t lose enough moisture.

Upon opening I noticed an abundance of clear fluid. I also noticed that there was what looked to be a blood clot by the bill. I’m not sure if that occurred premortem or postmortem. The baby was in the right position but never broke through the membrane. It had a small little bill. Such a shame but I’m excited for the others to hatch. These will all be white call ducks.
1DF4AF5A-F5F9-4C64-A9C2-726CE1A08F62.jpeg
617EC2A4-C2C7-493C-89E2-A668DB29F1CE.jpeg
DEA55BE7-6E30-4BA0-A874-A0BB0B1B45F4.jpeg
FAAEABFB-8E21-40BF-89E3-3BB957524989.jpeg
D7774659-C04F-4207-8DCE-02A519F86E61.jpeg
2711FC3B-9D03-4E1E-AF56-8F4F1DEB143D.jpeg

This is going to be a graphic post for some but maybe some will find it interesting.

I frequently hatch call ducklings and am experienced in assisting them. 24 days ago I started my journey with my first Show Quality call duck eggs. I candle often to check for bruises or internal pips.

When doing my check/candle this morning, I noticed that all the veins had receded from this little one. It had movement and was alive earlier yesterday. No movement so I removed it from the incubator. This one has always had a much smaller air cell than the others. I assume it didn’t lose enough moisture.

Upon opening I noticed an abundance of clear fluid. I also noticed that there was what looked to be a blood clot by the bill. I’m not sure if that occurred premortem or postmortem. The baby was in the right position but never broke through the membrane. It had a small little bill. Such a shame but I’m excited for the others to hatch. These will all be white call ducks.
So sorry you lost this little one. I actually had a similar thing happen with raspberry & blackberries sibling. There were 3 eggs, the last one was positioned like this, tiny bill and very similar looking.

I think something in the call gene puts out slightly deformed/weak ducklings every once in a while. It's ashame! Wishing you the best with the rest of the hatch.

So sorry you lost this little one. I actually had a similar thing happen with raspberry & blackberries sibling. There were 3 eggs, the last one was positioned like this, tiny bill and very similar looking.

I think something in the call gene puts out slightly deformed/weak ducklings every once in a while. It's ashame! Wishing you the best with the rest of the hatch.
Thank you.

Yes I do reckon you are right. I get one every so often. I assume more so also because the parents of these babies have very short bills.

Thank you very much! I can’t wait for these babies to hatch!! :wee

Back
Top Bottom