Graphic-HELP! White looking, long membrane hanging from vent!

Quote:
From I know about worms they aren't expelled that way (not tapeworms at least) and it would be strange for this type of parasite to harm a host after being cooked throughly first.
If you have eaten the eggs already, I wouldn't worry. I would not continue to though.

I do recall a rare story about an egg filled with a tapeworm. The story went to into depth of how rare this was.
The chicken itself was infested and had a previous wound that the worms burrowed further into it and eventually became entrapped into the eggs.
What I gather is that it is possible, however very rare and strange if they touched eggs.

Hi, yes, I think you are correct about that. My vet saw it today and didn't think it was a tapeworm. Hmmm, I wonder what's happening with my hen then.
Quote:

So we've ruled out tapeworms, my vet thinks it was an eggwhite within an inflamed membrane. I've found a few soft shelled laid eggs under the roosts and I thought these were from my hen who had just finished molting. Now I've tied them to this same hen who had the thing hanging from her vent.

So now I know she is in some sort of distress. I don't think she's been laying eggs but has been in and out of the nest box. Does anyone think this could be either eggbinding or egg yolk peritionitis?

I'm worried for her! They are on laying pellets, get to freerange, get daily yogurt treats, grapes, table scraps and generally very spoiled hens. Can anyone offer any help?

Back
Top Bottom