Graphic! Hen has big wound, tons of maggots, pooping yolk HELP

Thank you for the info there. I was wondering what it would take for the jump from dead to living flesh. If they are inside, then yah that's going to happen but if they are able to escape, was not sure. Lesson, keep them healthy and clean I guess.

...shit Just seen your post, I am so sorry..
Aaron

Thank you for the info there. I was wondering what it would take for the jump from dead to living flesh. If they are inside, then yah that's going to happen but if they are able to escape, was not sure. Lesson, keep them healthy and clean I guess.

...shit Just seen your post, I am so sorry..
Aaron
Now I have 1 left in my flock. She's going to be alone now. I wish I did keep checking on her and noticed this before it became an issue.

Oh, I am very sorry for your loss. It is good that you were able to seek professional treatment to try and help her. Many people use screenwire cut into strips to block flies from the coop. Also you can spray your coop with diluted permethrin 10 (brands are Martins or Gordons) once a month, but don’t use that if you raise bees on your farm.

Many chickens will have poopy vents, but if flies are a problem, it would be wise to put them in a large bucket of soapy water, and wash the poop off. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

Now I have 1 left in my flock. She's going to be alone now. I wish I did keep checking on her and noticed this before it became an issue.
Birds are VERY good at hiding maladies injuries and general not feeling well. Some things like this that can come on suddenly, she can be infected inside, and you don't know UNTIL you see a big hole open up and maggots, etc, and by the time you do see it, it's too late already. I lost a few pets in the past that way, they were just fine and then one day they were not and by that time... it was way too late, so please don't beat yourself up too badly over it. You cared for her and did everything you could, which is a lot better than she'd ever have done in the wild.

Aaron

Oh, I am very sorry for your loss. It is good that you were able to seek professional treatment to try and help her. Many people use screenwire cut into strips to block flies from the coop. Also you can spray your coop with diluted permethrin 10 (brands are Martins or Gordons) once a month, but don’t use that if you raise bees on your farm.

Many chickens will have poopy vents, but if flies are a problem, it would be wise to put them in a large bucket of soapy water, and wash the poop off. Good luck with the rest of your flock.
To be honest, if she had a big hole like that and what was coming out of it, she was probably already septic, especially with that many maggots already inside her. At least she's not suffering anymore.

Aaron
I'll make sure to keep the last one good and clean, but now she won't have any other chickens with her, I'm worried about her.

I know that she must have been in tremendous pain. They must have gone deep inside her. I know she will be able to be happy with the rest of her sisters.

Birds are VERY good at hiding maladies injuries and general not feeling well. Some things like this that can come on suddenly, she can be infected inside, and you don't know UNTIL you see a big hole open up and maggots, etc, and by the time you do see it, it's too late already. I lost a few pets in the past that way, they were just fine and then one day they were not and by that time... it was way too late, so please don't beat yourself up too badly over it. You cared for her and did everything you could, which is a lot better than she'd ever have done in the wild.

Aaron
This. We often forget that these animals are prey animals. It's in their instincts to avoid showing any sign of weakness to prevent themselves becoming the victim of predators or even their own flock-mates.

When animals like these begin showing symptoms, it's often because they're already so weak/in pain. I try to do weekly physical inspections for my animals, just to be sure everything is alright with them, but even then there's been times where animals have just been too far gone by the time they started showing symptoms.

Many would have euthanized her outright instead of attempting treatment. You did everything in your power to help her.

It's hard, but we're all here for you. :hugs

Ah, I’m so sorry. :hugs At least you did everything you could for her. As others have noted here, chickens are very good at hiding injuries and illness and I think most people who keep chickens have missed symptoms and lost a chicken because of it—I definitely have.

Are you considering getting more chickens to keep your remaining hen company?

This. We often forget that these animals are prey animals. It's in their instincts to avoid showing any sign of weakness to prevent themselves becoming the victim of predators or even their own flock-mates.

When animals like these begin showing symptoms, it's often because they're already so weak/in pain. I try to do weekly physical inspections for my animals, just to be sure everything is alright with them, but even then there's been times where animals have just been too far gone by the time they started showing symptoms.

Many would have euthanized her outright instead of attempting treatment. You did everything in your power to help her.

It's hard, but we're all here for you. :hugs
What's worse is I might have noticed it days ago if I didn't just start a job thats hours are from very early morning to the evening (the time they are out of their cage). By the time I get home they are out in already by my friend who lives with me.

Back
Top Bottom