**GRAPHIC PICS** of Bloody, runny, green poop. What's wrong with Freid

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
My Silkie, Frieda, deposited this horrific mess on the db this morning. She is 2 years old and the only change in behavior I have noticed is that she SITS around outside as if she were broody, but she's not. She has been broody in the past, but knows that nest boxes are the proper place for brooding. For more months than not her eggs have been laid on the droppings board and they are soft-shelled. This is the first time I have ever seen this type of droppings. I haven't noticed her eating or drinking habits. She has 24 hour access to oyster shell.

43104_5-25-11_freida_poop1.jpg

43104_5-25-11_freida_poop2.jpg

Poor Freida, a most undignified photo illustrating that she is responsible for the mess above.
43104_5-25-11_freida.jpg

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here?

Last edited:
Sorry for the quick trigger-finger on the enter button before the post was finished!

Hi,

I'm not sure I've never really seen this. The first thing that comes to mind are the following:

Have you given her alot of different greens or snacks lately?
Have you checked her crop? Is it full or empty? Does it have an oder at all?
Is that blood in her feces or just a discoloring of the photo?

Sorry I wish I could be of more help!
hugs.gif

Beth G. :

Hi,

I'm not sure I've never really seen this. The first thing that comes to mind are the following:

hugs.gif

Hi Beth, thanks for your reply.
I have not checked her crop, but I will.
That IS blood. I'm worried about this one.
sad.png

Beth G. :

Hi,

hugs.gif

Oh, and no new snacks or green edible stuff.
hu.gif

I'm worried for you too!!! Out of curiosity is she very droopy? Is she kind of just laying around alot? Have you come into contact when any new poultry people, farms, birds in the last 21-30 days?

Lastly, Does she have any swollen leg joints or any blisters on her under carriage?
Quote:
sad.png

Beth G. :

I'm worried for you too!!! Out of curiosity is she very droopy? Is she kind of just laying around alot? Have you come into contact when any new poultry people, farms, birds in the last 21-30 days?

Lastly, Does she have any swollen leg joints or any blisters on her under carriage?
Quote:
sad.png

She IS lazy and lays around a lot as of the past week or two.
No exposure to new birds or bird people around recently.
I have to go pick up my 3yr old from preschool now, but I think I may need to call the UCONN Poultry Extension office about this one. I think it may be serious.

Quote:
I have never wormed any of my chickens in the two years I've had them. I didn't want to rush to treat without knowing what is going on though. Would you not see some evidence of worms in the droppings if she had worms, or not necessarily?

For future reference: what do you use to worm your birds?

Back
Top Bottom