GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Just felt like updating everybody on my capons!

It's going sorta well and sorta not as good.

My first three are all doing fantastic. All wind-puffing has stopped, the wounds have healed over, and it looks like not a single one is a slip - all of their combs/wattles went from bright red to rosy pink, and they have calmed down greatly and lost some of the raspiness to their voices. And the behavior! They don't act like a hen or a rooster, and they flock together in such a funny manner.

My next 5 were essentially a disaster. My original results were 2 successful, 1 half way done, 1 on-table death, and one I changed my mind about last minute. I think that the lack of success had to do with the fact that 4/5 were bantam/poorly sized standards.

One of the successes is doing superb. He's a Cornish bantam and although he's lost a bit of weight, he's still quite bulky. One incision is completely healed over, the other is mostly scabbed, and he's had a noticeable change in behavior and comb color, so I'm pretty sure he's not a slip.

The other of the 2 "successes" was culled last week. He was slowly loosing strength and neither eating nor drinking. Autopsy revealed what looked like an infection in the lung. I guess I may have nicked it during the operation, causing the issue?

The half-success isn't doing too well, but he's not awful either. He doesn't seem to have any kind of infection but he didn't eat for a couple of days right after surgery (this is after he'd already been starved 2 days) because the turkeys wouldn't let him come out of the coop. I moved him to my bantam pen and he's gained some weight, although his comb is still deathly pale and flopped over.

I have a bunch of roosters growing out right now; mostly standards. Besides my one "oops" banty Sultan roo (he was supposed to be a hen, dangit!) I think I'll do my best to stay away from bantams in the future.

Last edited:
If they are already crowing and tryi,g to mate, will caponizing reduce or eliminate these behaviors? I have an 11week old marans I am considering doing. However if it won't change things much, I may just process him early

Worked on 6 this morning with Maggiesdad. Key takeaway - get the chinese tools
tongue.png

We think there is 1 slip and 1 we ended up letting go intact - had a hard time finding the teste on the left and after a bit of poking and prodding thought he earned the right to keep his manhood. The others I think went well so hopefully Capons!

Huge thanks to Maggiesdad! It was really great to have both a calm mentor and a second set of hands. Which reminds me - other key takeaway - stop flinching!

Worked on 6 this morning with Maggiesdad. Key takeaway - get the chinese tools
tongue.png

We think there is 1 slip and 1 we ended up letting go intact - had a hard time finding the teste on the left and after a bit of poking and prodding thought he earned the right to keep his manhood. The others I think went well so hopefully Capons!

Huge thanks to Maggiesdad! It was really great to have both a calm mentor and a second set of hands. Which reminds me - other key takeaway - stop flinching!

Those Chinese tools really do make a difference. Glad you guys were able to work together, it makes such a difference to have a mentor w/ hands on. My hats off to all that have managed on your own w/ videos, pics and this thread.

Does caponizing alter the frequency of crowing? Would you reccomend the procedure for someone who would like to keep a favorite chick (who of course wound up to be a cockerel) in a no rooster neighborhood?

Does caponizing alter the frequency of crowing? Would you reccomend the procedure for someone who would like to keep a favorite chick (who of course wound up to be a cockerel) in a no rooster neighborhood?

I'm new to this, but from everything I've heard, no, capons do not crow. They don't fight or mate either. I've so far found it to be true, my 3 oldest capons are going on 4 months now, no crowing/fighting/mating at all. They are actually more docile than the pullets they hang out with.

I think I would recommend it, but definitely find someone experienced to do it. I've done 7 cockerels so far, 4 of which were successes. I thought with 3 years experience butchering that I knew these birds inside out (literally) and could get away with no or very few losses/incorrectly done cockerels, but it's really even harder than it sounds (and it's not like it sounds easy in the first place). It definitely takes skill.

Last edited:
I'm new to this, but from everything I've heard, no, capons do not crow. They don't fight or mate either. I've so far found it to be true, my 3 oldest capons are going on 4 months now, no crowing/fighting/mating at all. They are actually more docile than the pullets they hang out with.

That would be perfect. They also somewhat develop the rooster plumage too. Sounds like that would be a perfect solution. If I am successful.....

That would be perfect. They also somewhat develop the rooster plumage too. Sounds like that would be a perfect solution. If I am successful.....

Yeah, although do see my edit to my post above. It's difficult, and if you haven't butchered chickens before at all I really wouldn't recommend you do it yourself. I know I would have had 0 success if I wasn't so familiar with their anatomy, and as it is my success rate wasn't anythinng to call home about.

Even after having butchered so many... there's a very big difference between cutting into a live bird and cutting into a dead one.

Back
Top Bottom