GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Pics
The blades in the Chinese tool set work fine. One has to forget the western notion of drawing the blade toward oneself. Instead, the blade is best used if it is pushed forward. This gives the operator more control and a cleaner incision.

If you're going to use a scalpel, spend the extra few dollars and get a round handle rather than a flat handle. Handles have different numbers so, make sure the blade you buy will fit your handle, or vice versa. If you prefer a smaller blade, then get a #3 handle and #10 blades. If you prefer a larger blade, get a #4 handle and #22 blades.

On the cautery, I have a Bovie Cautery. I've only used it a few times, as Kassaundra mentioned. I don't know if I'd buy another one if this one stopped working. With more experience, I think the need for a cautery lessens.

You do need a headlight. Some people do well with a camping/running type headlight. I prefer the medical headlights used by doctors and dentists. The light is more focused, it's brighter, and most use a rechargeable battery. They come with a clamp that fits onto dental loupes or they come with a clip that fits on safety and regular glasses. They run 26.99 and up on eBay. They start in the high thirties on Amazon.
Poco,

I use a #15 blade because it is actually smaller than the #10, and does in fact give you much more control, which is especially nice with the very young birds. You can see the comparisons between it and the #10 and #22.

Poco,

I use a #15 blade because it is actually smaller than the #10, and does in fact give you much more control, which is especially nice with the very young birds. You can see the comparisons between it and the #10 and #22.
The #15 is smaller than the #10. The #10 is comfortable for me to use, but smaller blades just don't seem right in my hand. The #22 is closer to the size of the blade on the rooster tool.

The #15 is smaller than the #10. The #10 is comfortable for me to use, but smaller blades just don't seem right in my hand. The #22 is closer to the size of the blade on the rooster tool.
I've used all of them and #11 as well over a long period of time, but I have used the #15 exclusively for many years, except for things requiring an incision and drainage, for which I would use a #11 because of its sharp point. I think it is just a matter of preference and what a person get used to.

Definitely on the road to recovery after 5 days of feeling like crap One good thing. I lost 5 lbs. Always a good thing.. But not a way I'd advise.
gig.gif

Yes definitely on the road to recovery. However, like I told Poco, I would be stupid to get on a bus for 10 or more hours at my age with my health problems. So I had to cancel my trip to the workshop. Bummer. The part I will miss most is the visiting time with Coral and Kassaundra. I'll learn to caponize but I'll miss that.
hit.gif

For those who ordered tools and boxes, I got word today that the package is headed to the U.S. My guy worked especially hard to get the order together before Chinese New Year shuts the country down (January 31st).

Linda - Feel better. When someone invents a transporter, we'll make a reservation for you so you can pop over to Oklahoma for a visit : )

Yes definitely on the road to recovery. However, like I told Poco, I would be stupid to get on a bus for 10 or more hours at my age with my health problems. So I had to cancel my trip to the workshop. Bummer. The part I will miss most is the visiting time with Coral and Kassaundra. I'll learn to caponize but I'll miss that.
hit.gif

We'll miss meeting you. Hope you get better.

Back
Top Bottom