GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Thank you all for answering my question.
smile.png

The scalpel/forceps tool in the kit is meant to be pushed, not pulled. That's counterintuitive, I know, but both the straight blade and the round blade will make a nice, clean cut if the skin is held taut and the blade is pushed forward rather than drawn back.

I've used regular scalpel blades too. #10 works well, but for roosters I like a #22 blade. Mostly, though, I use the round blade that is in the single kit.

That's good to know. I wondered how hard it would be to learn to push instead of pull.
big_smile.png

What is everyone using to cut with when caponizing? The cutting edge in the tool kit is not really very sharp. I guess it could be sharpened?

Does anyone use a scalpel, like for surgery or dissecting?

Is any one planning on having a workshop or class anytime soon?
I had to sharpen my tools in the kit.. mine were not sharp.. and not easy to put an edge on..
Most of mine were older/ larger birds.. much thicker to get thru in comparison to the 2 month olds we did in wk shop.
- that may have influenced my choice of tools.

Though i have a scalpel - I use a pocket knife (sharp!!! tip for the skin cut) to make the 1st incision, prior to tissue pull, and then to puncture into the abdomen. Next i use the round end tool/blade to get up close to the spine.. if more of an opening is needed for the spreader.

.. The pocket knife worked to get thru the deeper tissue for me. once thru to the intestinal membrane ... The round blade with "Push" stroke is easier to use in the direction to increase the cut back toward the spine. I found I needed both tools for the larger birds i worked on. <YMMV>

I'm glad to see the interest continues.. and thanks for the link to the Practical caponizing book..

Last edited:
Just a reminder for some of the new to the thread peeps who may be considering doing this and haven't read the whole thread. Be very cautious of using pain killing products that contain meds from the "caine" family (lidocaine, novacaine etc....) these are deadly to all fowl and can kill your bird. It usually gets brought up every so often, and I don't remember there being a recent reminder. This is even in topical meds.

If love to learn this. Is there anyone in northern CA that teaches. I figured Ca would be the last place but worth a shot. I need to see this stuff, can't read something like this in a book for me. Thanks for the thread!

You are really going to enjoy the Bresse on the table. A friend sent me some eggs and what hatched was all boys, so I fixed them since they weren't a breed I'm currently working with. They were outstanding!
I roasted a Bresse capon today. He was 11 1/2 months old and it was awesome! The flesh had an almost velvety texture, and cut like butter. I am definitely caponizing my Bresse cockerels this year. I have 13 that are 3 weeks old, and more in the incubator, so I will start caponizing soon.

I roasted a Bresse capon today. He was 11 1/2 months old and it was awesome! The flesh had an almost velvety texture, and cut like butter. I am definitely caponizing my Bresse cockerels this year. I have 13 that are 3 weeks old, and more in the incubator, so I will start caponizing soon.

Is there that much difference in texture and flavor between Bresse and you Marans. Or did you just process them earlier? Pictures?
pop.gif

Is there that much difference in texture and flavor between Bresse and you Marans. Or did you just process them earlier? Pictures?
pop.gif
Linda, I haven't processed a full Marans capon yet, because everything I caponized last year were mixed Marans/Lavender Orpingtons. I have had a Bresse slip, and the capon was definitely more tender with a smoother texture. The Bresse was definitely better than the white hatchery chicks that I bought last year to caponize.

I didn't make a picture of the bird. When we got home from looking at steers to buy, the capon was cooked and I just fixed some veggies to go with it because we were running late.

My first hatch of Bresse and Marans are 3 1/2 weeks old, so I will start caponizing soon. I have another hatch that I just put into lockdown for the weekend, and my broody will be hatching out Marans this weekend too. I am gonna be up to my eyeballs in chicks!

Back
Top Bottom