GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Did two of my 16 week olds this morning with no complications. I was alone so no pictures during. They are older than I normally would work on them but I've been going back and forth as to who would remain intact. The large testes are from a White Cochin and the smaller are from a RIR. The RIR may be a slip but I couldn't see anything left behind.

I've got two of my adult birds that are getting demoted. No one wants me to send my Blue Cochin to the freezer (yet) so I'm going to attempt to caponize him. I've never worked on an adult bird so I'll be doing a practice run with my Silver Pencilled Rock rooster before I attempt him.

Did two of my 16 week olds this morning with no complications. I was alone so no pictures during. They are older than I normally would work on them but I've been going back and forth as to who would remain intact. The large testes are from a White Cochin and the smaller are from a RIR. The RIR may be a slip but I couldn't see anything left behind.

I've got two of my adult birds that are getting demoted. No one wants me to send my Blue Cochin to the freezer (yet) so I'm going to attempt to caponize him. I've never worked on an adult bird so I'll be doing a practice run with my Silver Pencilled Rock rooster before I attempt him.

Wow, good to know it can be done at 16 weeks, thanks!

I caponized two cockerels for a friend today. One is a crested cream legbar and the other is a faverolles cross (5 toes, feathered legs). I had to use a wire tool with an exaggerated bend to get behind the faverolles testicles, as they were large and really deep in the body cavity.

I left a second crested cream legbar for another day. He was looking a little peeked, and I didn't want to tax him if he's coming down with something.

For those looking for a headlamp that won't break the bank, you can get a Bushnell headlamp at Walmart for about fifteen dollars. The model I have has one big light and four little lights. The little lights are fine for working outside in the dark. The big light is bright enough for caponizing. It's rechargeable via USB cable attached to the headlamp.

I'm starting to think about a clinic for this summer. There are so many things I'd like to share but can't due to my workload during the school year.

This thread looks a little dead so I thought I'd liven it up. Did 12 cockerels today. They were maybe 13 weeks. Cochins, Orps, Welsummers, and Olive Eggers. Lost one Wellie but otherwise pretty good. Tested out my tools from Poco Pollo the first time and found them PHENOMENAL. I think I have maybe 1-2 slips at the most which is awesome because my main issue in the past has been slips. Also, after many times of two-siding it, I was able to do all but three cockerels one-sided today! I feel I made huge progress today and am thrilled.

Its sounds like you have this figured out. Iv been thinking about trying it for a long time now. But white cornish are very difficult to sex at 5 or 6 weeks everyone likes to cut them at. Do you get similar results doing them at 12 weeks? If so, I could make that work for me!

Its sounds like you have this figured out. Iv been thinking about trying it for a long time now. But white cornish are very difficult to sex at 5 or 6 weeks everyone likes to cut them at. Do you get similar results doing them at 12 weeks? If so, I could make that work for me!

I've yet to decide which age I really like best. I'm leaning towards 10 weeks. I think the younger ones are both easier and more difficult than older ones. In one way, younger ones seem a lot less "grown together" and removing and cutting the necessary bits is easier, and bleeding is minimal.
However, there's a lot more space to work and see with older birds. However, it's just different challenges - nothing "impossible" or even very hard about doing a 10-12 week one, just potential disadvantages. I haven't even TRIED a 5-6 weeker yet - maybe 7 is the youngest I've done.

Awesome @QueenMisha
clap.gif
bow.gif

I have a new hatch. Really hoping I don't choke and follow through this time. I hope I didn't buy the tools for some sort of worthless collection
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom