GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I without feed only for 12 hours or so...have never had intestines break while pulling out,
and often open intestines looking for worms, they didn't cut open easily.
First couple times I didn't withhold feed and poop came out of vent when pulling guts.
I've previously cut out the vent first. I recently read instructions to cut on the proximal (to the tummy) side of the vent and then, without cutting the rest of the way around, enlarge the opening and eviscerate the body cavity through that opening. It works really well for me that way. The last thing you're told to do is cut the rest of the way around the vent to remove that last bit of intestinal tract. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but I didn't fast my turkeys or roosters at all, yet no fecal matter expressed even with all my awkward groping.

One other thing... I have a hard time finding the crop on turkeys for some reason. Having a few tsps of seeds in there really helps me.

Sooo, I weighed a handful of tweenager birds today and they're mostly at around 1.5 lbs, so it's time--for the boys, anyway. I have a crate ready for them in the garage and the five lucky ones I pick out (for now) will spend the night, day, night there starting tonight. I figure they'll be easier to catch in the dark with my red headlamp. I don't want to fast anyone I don't end up caponizing and I think five is a pretty ambitious start for me.

I did kill my other two extra roosters and practice caponizing on them as well. It went better with the second one and even better with the third. I even managed to get third-bird's huge healthy testicles out through the incisions. I broke one, but the first one was intact. I'm counting on the smaller birds being easier to do. :fl I have one who hurt his leg somehow, probably wildcatting around in the tractor I have them in. I'm not sure I shouldn't practice on him first... I dunno. I'm probably gonna have to kill him anyway. Dying from a possible nicked artery in his flank probably isn't any worse than a cut throat.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to get any pictures. DH isn't into this at all and there's no one else to help. I'll have the camera on hand and if it works at all, I'll try.

I've previously cut out the vent first. I recently read instructions to cut on the proximal (to the tummy) side of the vent and then, without cutting the rest of the way around, enlarge the opening and eviscerate the body cavity through that opening. It works really well for me that way. The last thing you're told to do is cut the rest of the way around the vent to remove that last bit of intestinal tract. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but I didn't fast my turkeys or roosters at all, yet no fecal matter expressed even with all my awkward groping.

One other thing... I have a hard time finding the crop on turkeys for some reason. Having a few tsps of seeds in there really helps me.
I do the vent last nowadays too. I have been just grabbing jakes when they get fighting lately. The crop leaking during processing is the only issue, which I don't think is a big deal. Too hard to catch them and I don't have an empty coop right now.

Yup...I do the same on chickens take the vent and the tail off once all innards are out.

I caponized five cockerels this morning. They're all good, running around, eating & drinking. Having practiced on the adult roosters previously was a great help, I think. No pictures, alas. Unless I find someone else to work the camera, I'm just not gonna get any. There are quite a few on here anyway, some really good. It's all I can manage just to do the procedure.

1. I plucked them the day before, while they were fasting. I held them upside down by their feet mostly because they were fighting too hard to do it any other way. It turned out best, though. I was able to palpate the ribs easily and learn where I would need to cut. The feathers came out very easily and this didn't seem to distress the birds.
  2. I forgot to remove the water (should have done that last night) until this morning early, so I waited several hours before I started this morning.
  3. DH pled for one of the boys in case we should need him later (what with the China flu "apocalypse" and all). I put the biggest one back with the girls and one (later-hatched) smaller cockerel that I had decided was maybe too small. I'll do most of the pullets when they get to 14-16 wks. I don't think I'm in danger of running out of eggs. We had enough and to spare all winter, even without lights.
  4. I set up my area--music stand operating table (solid, with holes spaced like polkadots over its surface), floor-stand craft (gooseneck) lamp, folded puppy pad on the music stand, tools laid out on a sanitized plastic cutting board, cotton swabs, alcohol, small bungee cords, large ponytail holders. I later added absorbent cosmetic cotton squares (I didn't have gauze).

I caponized five cockerels this morning. They're all good, running around, eating & drinking. Having practiced on the adult roosters previously was a great help, I think. No pictures, alas. Unless I find someone else to work the camera, I'm just not gonna get any. There are quite a few on here anyway, some really good. It's all I can manage just to do the procedure.

1. I plucked them the day before, while they were fasting. I held them upside down by their feet mostly because they were fighting too hard to do it any other way. It turned out best, though. I was able to palpate the ribs easily and learn where I would need to cut. The feathers came out very easily and this didn't seem to distress the birds.
  2. I forgot to remove the water (should have done that last night) until this morning early, so I waited several hours before I started this morning.
  3. DH pled for one of the boys in case we should need him later (what with the China flu "apocalypse" and all). I put the biggest one back with the girls and one (later-hatched) smaller cockerel that I had decided was maybe too small. I'll do most of the pullets when they get to 14-16 wks. I don't think I'm in danger of running out of eggs. We had enough and to spare all winter, even without lights.
  4. I set up my area--music stand operating table (solid, with holes spaced like polkadots over its surface), floor-stand craft (gooseneck) lamp, folded puppy pad on the music stand, tools laid out on a sanitized plastic cutting board, cotton swabs, alcohol, small bungee cords, large ponytail holders. I later added absorbent cosmetic cotton squares (I didn't have gauze).
Just "fat-fingered" the reply button. Will continue below...

I was pretty nervous bringing out my first "victim," but really, if I accidentally were to kill him, is it so much worse to die by bleeding out from an artery in the body cavity as opposed to the neck? So, I just did it.

• I wrapped a bungee cord around both wings and hooked it to itself then hooked the other end into a hole on the back of the music stand. I wrapped a hair tie around the top ankle and looped one end through the other then hooked the resulting loop with another small bungee cord and fastened that around the other side, tight. I did not secure the bottom leg.
  • I felt carefully for the last rib, pulled off any feathers I missed before and swabbed with alcohol. I experimented with pulling the skin toward the thigh, but it was already stretched by having the leg pulled back so I couldn't displace it much. Someone earlier in this thread commented that restraining only the top leg would have this effect.
  • Nevertheless I did attempt to pull the skin farther as I made my incision (eta: between the last two ribs, high--near the backbone). I tried to apply enough pressure to cut through skin and muscle to enter the body cavity at one stroke, but I was too timid and ended up having to cut three times to get through. I used the Chinese retractor and it worked very well.
  • It did not work well on the (dead) adult roosters I practiced on before. I had to use the Gelpi 3.5" one on them. It was too small and too sharp, but capable of opening farther. I would use a blunt Weitlaner retractor if I were going to attempt adult roosters. Not sure what size but I guess I'd try the 5.5" 3x4 prong one. I have no desire or intention to neuter adult roosters, though.
  • The teste was hard to see at first. It was small--maybe the size of a puffed rice grain--and pale yellow like fresh straw, with tiny bright blood vessels spider webbed over it. It is deeper in the body cavity than you would probably expect. I moved some intestines out of the way with the long-handled "spoon" tool to see and access it. It was high (as in closer to the backbone) and anchored on both ends. There is a membrane over it. You cannot see it, but you do need to remove it. I used the 45° bent tip needle tool to gently snag this membrane and free the teste.
  • I used the tweezers that came with the Chinese kit (refer to my earlier photos) to grasp around and behind the teste and pull it out. I found later that a slight twist counter-clockwise while pulling it out freed it with less trauma.
  • On the first three birds I caused some sudden bleeding while poking around with the bent needle tool trying to free the teste. I thought I had hit an artery and feared I had killed the bird. I swabbed gently with a rolled up cotton square, took out some large blood clots, and went on to remove the teste. When the bird kept breathing, I turned it over and did the other side. On the first one, this happened on both sides. On the second and third, only one side. On the fourth and fifth, not at all. Hopefully I've got it figured out now. I'm just jazzed that I didn't kill any of them.
  • There were a couple times I had to take out a teste in pieces. I think I got them all, but I suppose from others' experiences those will likely be slips. They say the slips are still better than full cocks though. I will have to watch and butcher early if any start to develop secondary sex characteristics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom