*Graphic* Quail Necropsy - possible Egg Yolk Peritonitis

Pics
Well, I found another bad egg today, which means another one of my quail hens has been having the same problem. Unfortunately, I am not sure which one it is. I am guessing it is one of my two older hens (both 3 years old), and indeed one of them has been acting a bit lethargic for a while, but I cannot be sure until I see her lay a bad egg or the other hen lay a normal one. That, of course, is unlikely to happen. There aren't any exterior physical symptoms I can look for on my quail, are there?

Here are a couple pictures of the bad egg. The shell was weak, hence the hole, and as for the coloration, it obviously indicates a problem. I cracked it open in the compost bin, and it did have a normal yolk.
1625169888205.png
1625169512664.png

Well, I found another bad egg today, which means another one of my quail hens has been having the same problem. Unfortunately, I am not sure which one it is. I am guessing it is one of my two older hens (both 3 years old), and indeed one of them has been acting a bit lethargic for a while, but I cannot be sure until I see her lay a bad egg or the other hen lay a normal one. That, of course, is unlikely to happen. There aren't any exterior physical symptoms I can look for on my quail, are there?

Here are a couple pictures of the bad egg. The shell was weak, hence the hole, and as for the coloration, it obviously indicates a problem. I cracked it open in the compost bin, and it did have a normal yolk.
View attachment 2743432 View attachment 2743423
Are you sure this egg wasn’t hidden or buried somewhere? it maybe looks like an old egg that got dug up.

No, the quail are on wire flooring and the egg wasn't there yesterday. The egg looks the same as the ones Cinnamon, the dead bird I examined a couple days ago, used to lay.
At this point does it really matter which one laid this egg?
If you find out which one laid it are you going to end it?

Back
Top Bottom