*Graphic* What is this?

Short-tailed weasel/ermine. I'm glad we don't have them here. There are some other threads with pictures posted. Nasty chicken killers. Super cat saved the day. Probably after some chicken but kitty spoiled the day for it. Very good kitty...

Weasels are carnivorous and hunt mammals of the size of rabbits and smaller. Their thin bodies allow them to pursue many rodents into their burrows or tunnels underground or under snow. They can also climb trees. Weasels have high metabolisms and require a lot of food each day. They will cache extra food to supply their needs. Therefore weasels will instinctively kill what food is available and store what they can't eat right away. This gives them their reputation as particularly ferocious hunters and is the behavior that leads to the notorious killing sprees sometimes in a chicken coop. Weasels will also eat eggs, frogs, fish and insects when they cannot find a meal of meat.

20190103_121412.jpg

Today's hero!! She can have a whole can of tuna!

This is "Kitty" (very original, I know). She's a rescue...was found as a kitten, baby to some ferals. Can't really tell in the pic, but she's almost like a mini cat...she's not as long or tall as many other cats you see. She sort of comes and goes as she pleases, in her older age (8yo.) she prefers to stay indoors when it's too hot or too cold. Couldn't ask for a better cat!

looks like a least weasel to me (from lack of the black tip on the tail)

next up is maybe a short tail but still looks small for them

and i don't think its a long tail as there quite big.

edit: just did a quick google search i am saying 95% sure its a least weasel (there apparently know as stoats/common weasel in the UK) where i live we have all 3 weasels types

Really hated to touch the nasty thing but in the name of science and BYC...here ya go
Kudos!!! :highfive:

Oh wow...so I'm assuming not necessarily a threat to the adult birds, but definitely any chicks.
Umm...wouldn't count on it...if they can get at their necks or under wings at night.

Back
Top Bottom