grass in the new run??

earnhardtlvr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
The coop is done and we set the poles for the fencing today.
celebrate.gif
We didn't mow inside the run thinking the girlies will have nice fresh green grass to eat and scratch when they move out there in the next few weeks. But, the grass might b knee high by the time the girlies get out there. is that too much for them?
sickbyc.gif
Should we mow it? I don't want them to get sick eating a bunch of grass when they move to their new home! Any opinions??
fl.gif

I heard that they love greens, I wouldn't mow and savour the grass, as from what I have read it won't be there much longer!

We had extremely long grass/weeds in the coop when the chicks were put out. My hubby asked if we should mow it and I said nope. Needless to say the grass was all gone by fall! I'd leave it. They love it!

I had an unused chicken yard for three years. The weeds and grass met my chest. I pulled blackberries and thistles and left the rest. It's total dirt now, without a single sign of green life. I think I should have over-seeded and fertilized the weeds before letting the chickens at it.
tongue.png

I suggest letting it grow too. One of our chicken's favorite times is when I use the bag attachment on the mower and dump the bag in their run. It seems that the bigger the grass heap is the more they love it. I did that this morning between the rain drops. They're out there right now in a thunderstorm and having a ball.

Back
Top Bottom