grass in the new run??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by earnhardtlvr, Apr 30, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    The coop is done and we set the poles for the fencing today. [​IMG] We didn't mow inside the run thinking the girlies will have nice fresh green grass to eat and scratch when they move out there in the next few weeks. But, the grass might b knee high by the time the girlies get out there. is that too much for them? [​IMG] Should we mow it? I don't want them to get sick eating a bunch of grass when they move to their new home! Any opinions?? [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I did the exact same thing and ended up having to mow. They are pretty easy on the grass while they are little.

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Thanks Taz! Haven't heard from u in a while on here. Glad to hear from u! [​IMG] We will prob mow the grass b4 we put the fence up then. [​IMG]

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I heard that they love greens, I wouldn't mow and savour the grass, as from what I have read it won't be there much longer!

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    We had extremely long grass/weeds in the coop when the chicks were put out. My hubby asked if we should mow it and I said nope. Needless to say the grass was all gone by fall! I'd leave it. They love it!

6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I had an unused chicken yard for three years. The weeds and grass met my chest. I pulled blackberries and thistles and left the rest. It's total dirt now, without a single sign of green life. I think I should have over-seeded and fertilized the weeds before letting the chickens at it.[​IMG]

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:X2 they will have it gone before you know it. Mine killed the grass in my whole back yard.

8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Leave it...I am trying to get some to grow here in Tucson!

9. chickenman67

chickenman67 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    N.W Pa.
    if thier young you may have to trim the grass but trust me when they get older there wont be a blade of grass to be found.

10. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I suggest letting it grow too. One of our chicken's favorite times is when I use the bag attachment on the mower and dump the bag in their run. It seems that the bigger the grass heap is the more they love it. I did that this morning between the rain drops. They're out there right now in a thunderstorm and having a ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by