Grass-less Dirty Chicken Run

Sorry to be off topic, but since when did run recommendations increase from 10 to 15 Sq feet per bird?
I seen that too and am also curious. What DOES happen if your birds have too little space? Just stress and decreased egg output or other issues as well? Anything like feather pulling etc etc?

Aaron

I have even started some plantings of mint and other beneficial herbs...
Do chickens eat mint? Mine thankfully have not really messed with mine.
Or... have they just not really discovered yet I am wondering now???
Oh man, I hope they don't, really don't need to deal with that plant too on my gotta watch it like a hawk list .

Do chickens eat mint? Mine thankfully have not really messed with mine.
Or... have they just not really discovered yet I am wondering now???
Oh man, I hope they don't, really don't need to deal with that plant too on my gotta watch it like a hawk list .
Mine do! I have 18 different varieties..the prefer lemon balm, apple mint and the flowers of chocolate mint...I use the others in nest boxes ..I have grow mint around all my coops and pens...i nice gois smelling carpet...also found lemon balm repels some biting insect...encircle your plants with some poultry netting..what grows out they can consume but your mother plant thrives....

I seen that too and am also curious. What DOES happen if your birds have too little space? Just stress and decreased egg output or other issues as well? Anything like feather pulling etc etc?

Aaron
I'm not sure honestly. My runs were already smaller than people required before the increase, but my birds don't bicker besides an occasional peck if someone is rude to someone else.

My birds lay good and look great, the only downside is that they have to be cleaned more than if they were in a larger spot

I was thinking the same thing on the mint eventually. It is rather invasive out here and will take over.. well it and the oregano it seems are both fighting for the same spot along with the goji berry which is another tangle weed. Eventually I was thinking of building a semi / for the most part / permanent run for them, like a hoop house type thing, and putting mint around it. I had the chocolate growing in my house for a while then the gnats moved in and it died soon afterwards.

Aaron

Sorry to be off topic, but since when did run recommendations increase from 10 to 15 Sq feet per bird?
Some of us advocate for more space when possible. I personally feel 10 sq ft per bird is too small, and anything under 100 sq ft too small overall as it's difficult to add decent clutter or for humans to maneuver around in there. Like I find using rake is difficult in a space under 6' wide (and I hit walls at 6').

Obviously every flock is different and some birds accept tighter quarters without issue, whereas some want a lot more space.
What DOES happen if your birds have too little space? Just stress and decreased egg output or other issues as well? Anything like feather pulling etc etc?
Stress and bullying/pecking order issues are probably the most common thing you'd see, though how that manifests in each bird probably differs.

Aaron

Mainly behavioral problems -- the worst extremes being things like cannibalism and guarding the feeder and waterer so that the low-rank birds starve.

If you look at the hatchery notes, breed that say "tolerates confinement" do better in a tight situation than breeds that say "good foragers" or "good for ranging".

Lack of space isn't a guarantee of issues, but when issues arise it very often seems to be a contributing factor. :)

Mainly behavioral problems -- the worst extremes being things like cannibalism and guarding the feeder and waterer so that the low-rank birds starve.

If you look at the hatchery notes, breed that say "tolerates confinement" do better in a tight situation than breeds that say "good foragers" or "good for ranging".

Lack of space isn't a guarantee of issues, but when issues arise it very often seems to be a contributing factor. :)
Thank you for the answer. I always wondered what would happen, besides the typical crying and possible nit picking with the others.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom