Grass-less Dirty Chicken Run

Mainly behavioral problems -- the worst extremes being things like cannibalism and guarding the feeder and waterer so that the low-rank birds starve.

If you look at the hatchery notes, breed that say "tolerates confinement" do better in a tight situation than breeds that say "good foragers" or "good for ranging".

Lack of space isn't a guarantee of issues, but when issues arise it very often seems to be a contributing factor. :)

Yes there may be behavior problems and stress. "Tolerating confinement" or keeping chickens in one of those cute little coops without outside time IMO is not much better than those chicken production buildings where they claim "cage free" but the chickens are crowded into this big area without cages. Those chickens also have issues and most require cutting their upper beak really short so they can't pick on eachother.

I would say that if your chickens free range frequently, they can have a smaller coop and pen. Mine free range most days in my backyard and my pen is 16x16 for 15 chickens. The coop is fairly large. My pen is built like Fort Knox, so they live most of the year with the coop door open. In the really cold weather they are in the coop Or in the coop with a heater (because I can) that keeps the 3 water buckets unfrozen, about 30 degrees.

When I lived in Florida, my chickens did not have a coop, just a covered pen and a rubbermaid tub on it's side for laying eggs. It was in the shade all day. I did nothing in the winter.

What I'm saying is you have to think of the chickens' situation, if there out more frequently then their coop and pen can be smaller. Use your judgement and if you read what others do, use that as reference NOT gospel. And remember they are animals. If they get dirty feet well they will. I have silkies with dirty feet! If I hold them I also own a washing machine. I snip their butt feathers, worm them, give them veggies and treats, and physically handle each one weekly to check their weight. And I love them all !

One of the most interesting tips I have is if you get mulch, buy a color that's close to the color of chicken poop.

Right now since I don't have too many yummy things close to being ripe, the chickens free range all day. The coop basically is just somewhere they go at night to sleep. Even when I do cage them up on certain conditions, they get let out for an hour or so at the end of the day when im watering / checking everything. I find that when I let them dig around where I buried that plutonium at, the eggs come out all nice and pretty colors and are much easier to see at night :D

Seriously though ON that, that's one thing you do have to be careful on when you let them free range. If you were working on a car, or a mower, or getting ready to spray or whatever... they are NOT smart enough to stay out of stuff they don't need to be in, so you would have to make sure, no oil pans, no bottles of bug be gone etc etc where they can potentially get at.

Another PLUS side to it tho is, my soil is horrible. THey dug up and sold all the good stuff (typical greedy sob pos smf contractors / home builders) and the full of shells / lime rock and garbage soil they dug out to create the retention pond, they spread THAT around, put half an inch if that of 'black stuff' on top of it and threw sod down. THAT is your soil :( Sandy rocky silty crap. Im constantly pulling rocks out as over the years it slowly gets better to grow in. By occasionally throwing down a handfull of seed where they like to root and dust bathe, they'll dig the crap out of that to get the seeds and dig up a lot of rocks, which are now on the surface so a quick drag of the rake and I got them all out.

THIS was also one of my Einstonian ideas early on too, heyyyyyyyyy... move the coop around the yard and let the chickens dig up all the rocks. Sounds good on paper right??

aaron

Hi!
I have 3, 21 week old hens, (I'm a first time chicken owner) and within the first 2 weeks of them being in their coop and run, they destroyed and ate up all the grass! All that's left is feathers, dirt, and chicken poop. I try to let them out every day to free range for a bit, but I'm worried it's not enough. (Plus, their feet get all dirty when they go back to the run, and it doesn't smell all that great either!!) What do I do? Should I try to free range them more, and give the run floor a break? The coop is right next to my house, so predators aren't a big issue, but it's still a worry I have.
Should I get another attachment run and lock them out of the old one until the grass comes back?
It's really embarrassing to have people come and see the chickens since it looks so gross, and stinks, too.
If you managed to get through all that reading (lol), could you help me? Any suggestions?
Chickens will always eat through and scratch through a grass run. Predators are always a concern no matter how close to your home they are. Think neighborhood dogs, all sorts of wild life from above and below. Couple of thoughts. Add a good layer of sand to the mix but play box sand -- cleaner and safer then regular sand. Chickens use sand to take dust baths. Rake weekly, improve drainage if it gets wet. Keep it clean. This very important to avoid disease and pests. Can add enrichment items to the ground - millets seed, scratch grains, and wild bird seed no more then a half a cup per day. It should be finished by night fall. The larger the run the better so expanding is never a bad idea, but it will bring more chickens into your life. They are addictive. Some do have pens that can be moved and I have seen some operations that use moveable net type electric fences to shift their birds to different areas. Vet Tech with over 30 years experience raising chickens geese and ducks.

Last edited:
Hi!
I have 3, 21 week old hens, (I'm a first time chicken owner) and within the first 2 weeks of them being in their coop and run, they destroyed and ate up all the grass! All that's left is feathers, dirt, and chicken poop. I try to let them out every day to free range for a bit, but I'm worried it's not enough. (Plus, their feet get all dirty when they go back to the run, and it doesn't smell all that great either!!) What do I do? Should I try to free range them more, and give the run floor a break? The coop is right next to my house, so predators aren't a big issue, but it's still a worry I have.
Should I get another attachment run and lock them out of the old one until the grass comes back?
It's really embarrassing to have people come and see the chickens since it looks so gross, and stinks, too.
If you managed to get through all that reading (lol), could you help me? Any suggestions?

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE A HUGE PEN AS WELL THAT IS MUDDY MOST OF THE TIME WITH ALL THE RAIN I'VE HAD LATELY. FOR A SMALL RUN, YOU CAN DUMP IN SAND OR BEDDING TO COVER THE MUD, BUT IT WILL EVENTUALLY NEED MORE. THE GRASS IN MY CHICKEN AREAS HAS NEVER GROWN BACK--AND IT'S BEEN MANY YEARS. BUT IF YOU ARE DETERMINED, YOU CAN MAKE A STACK OF TRAYS THAT YOU PLANT GRASS IN, PUT IN A SUNNY AREA, USE THE TOP ONE WHEN GRASSY ENOUGH AND MOVE EACH ONE UP, PUTTING AN EMPTY ONE AT THE BOTTOM TO START A NEW CROP OF GRASS. IT WON'T STOP YOUR PROBLEM WITH MUD, BUT IT WILL PROVIDE GRASS TO THEM. MEANWHILE, LOOK FOR THINGS THAT GROW WELL NEAR CHICKENS. I PLANT THEM NEAR THE FENCE. I JUST READ THAT BUTTERFLY BUSHES ARE GOOD NEAR COOPS. IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER, I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING IT. I'M ABOUT TO GO OUT WITH A TILLER AND GET THE GROUND LEVEL AGAIN. I'D LOVE TO FIND SOMETHING FOR MY CHICKENS SINCE I LIVE IN AN AREA WITH LOTS OF RAPTORS AND HAD TO STOP FREE-RANGING. THEIR OUTDOOR COOP IS HUGE, THOUGH. HOUSE SIZE.
MAY THE ANSWER BE OUT THERE AND ON IT'S WAY!!

Hi!
It shouldn't stink. When our neighbors sent the town code enforcement officer to see us cuz they didn't like our roosters😾, he said this is the first coop he's been around that doesn't smell bad. All I do is pick up the poop every morning with tongs, spread out more pine shavings and newspapers, use fly strips, use fly pheromone product, put out clean food and water in dishes. Rake run regularly, cleanse and sweep coop regularly. Use DE in their dust bath area, which they have to have. They will always eat all grass in their run/coop area; its programmed into them to forage and peck and scratch. It gives them pleasure. But picking up their poop daily will prevent smells. Also you can grow herbs and put them in their bedding; very nice for them and you. You can put some hay down where the ground is bear and that looks more attractive and the girls love to rummage thru it.
Once snow falls, putting some hay out in the shoveled area will make it easier for them to go outside for some air and exercise. Hope this helps.🐓

The biggest thing you can do and it takes a whole of a minute or two is, grab the poop out of their roosting area every morning. You will have to try to get to it before they do. If you are a late waker they will have already scratched thru the area and turned it over. Otherwise, tong the overnight poop out, throw some shavings in when needed and it should take care of itself after a few weeks. The first 3 weeks or so, can be a bit hit or miss, in their main running area, as they do their initial tear up the grass, and you may get some matting of left over grass, and poop on the surface or minor build up of it because the dirt is still kind of hard because they have not really dug the heck out of it yet. Once the girls have got their 'running' area tore up and scratched to pieces it tends to take care of itself MUCH better as far as odor reduction, poop reduction etc. But your biggest source of smells is going to be the first thing in the morning, the pile of poop they left accumulating all night while they slept. Get rid of this and the rest should start being almost self doing after a while.

Aaron

Thanks. My run is under some wonderful Orange Osage trees so it's covered very well, doesn't get muddy but it does get wet. The ground is still hard as a rock as the girls have only been in there for 3 months. I'm wondering if I need to get the rake in there to help move it around a bit or just wait. It's nowhere near fluffy.
Yeah move the ground around for them. They love when you dig up the ground for they'll look for worms and bugs and theyll love you!

Hi!
I actually let my chickens free range after they lay their eggs. I actually add clean dirt to their run, I have a pile delivered to the back of my property and every week or two I add in a wheel barrel full of dirt. I also add pot ash from our burn pile. They need the dirt to take their dirt baths, it keeps mites and bugs down. I also pick poop every two days as it is messy and does stink. I try to keep it picked so its a cleaner environment. There is a product called PDZ it is a volcanic sand that I put in my coop to keep the smell down also. Do you have an area where your chickens can free range on grass?

Back
Top Bottom