Grass over winter

YorkshireHobbit

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 17, 2013
Hi,

This is my first post all the way over in England, apologies if it is in the wrong place. The paddock I keep my chickens in has become slightly muddy and grassless, I am a bit worried the lack of grass will effect the chickens. Is there a something I could use as a grass substitute to keep them happy? I was thinking of putting some straw down but I am slightly worried it will cause crop blockages.

Many thanks.

Hello. welcome to BYC.
Grass is doomed in a run. If you can let them out for supervised free runs that may help.
Other wise, produce will keep them happy. Greens like cabbage, kale, mustard greens and the like. Mine love carrot peelings. Sometimes I go into the run with a carrot and a peeler and whittle one down for them.
I do not know how green it is in the shire this time of year, but when I weed my beds, garden, and pots I give the weeds to the girls.
There is a treat list here some where. i will find it and post back.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

Last edited:
I give mine grass clippings from the lawnmower (make sure these are short- like 2-3 inches long to prevent crop impaction).

This time of year the grass doesn't grow here, although it is still beautiful and green. So I give grass clippings from other spots in the yard. Their grassy pens are turning a bit mucky here too. In the spring the grass will start growing well but if you don't have a HUGE area fenced off for them then the grass will disappear as 3 good eggs said.

Back
Top Bottom