Temperature goes down to -20 below here!

Zhevotnya

In the Brooder
Premium Feather Member
Nov 8, 2023
Hello, you "chicken lovers,"
This year will be the first time I've attempted to keep a flock over winter. As I stated in "header," in my part of lower Michigan, (outskirts, Bay City,) it can reach an absolute temperature (not considering wind chill,) of 20 below! I know egg production will decrease, but my main concern is water. I hate those "fill and flip" waterers, because I usually wind up wet, (which isn't a big deal in summer,) but in winter, it becomes a "deal-breaker!" Please, can anyone tell me, will "nipple-style" waterers work here, or should I just utilize a "tank heater" in an appropriately-sized, pan type vessel? What would be ideal is heated, (3 gallon +,) waterer, that fills from the top. If you have any "threads," leads, or suggestions, please reply.

With every good wish, I remain,

Zhevotnya

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving to you!...and those you hold dear....

We have a 5-gallon nipple waterer in the coop, but we keep the coop heated to 40F or so, so it never freezes. I did recently purchase two 2-gallon electric heated nipple waterers for our outside pens I'll start up in Feb/March when it will still be freezing weather.

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I don't think the nipples would work in that kind of cold. @rosemarythyme @Sally PB @Debbie292d @DobieLover would have more experience with freezing temperatures. A water heater would probably help. Happy Thanksgiving to you, and all others who Celebrate!
Someone asked me if those 2-gallon heated nipple waterers can sit outside. My hubby who is an electrician does not believe they are high enough wattage (60 watts) for that, so he's building the outside hutch for inside the pen to be large enough to sit ours in it.

I know a lot of people use these, but I believe they all put them inside their coops for a little protection from the elements.

I live at high elevation and we get really cold in the winter. Last winter we had -30 degree days and some bitter cold wind chill on top of that. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it, nipple waterers all around the bottom, and then I stick a submersible heater in the bucket. I never had any problems with the water freezing and I kept the bucket outside. I did check it every day though, just to make sure. I know every location is different, but this is what has worked for me in those long winter months when filling waterers is the last thing I want to do!

I live in the Thumb. I just bring fresh water. They will fill up on the water after they eat. I bring out more water mid day and again with dinner. Once they hunker down they won't be eating or drinking.

Chickens don't normally drink often, like other animals they take their fill and they are good. I also feed fermented/soaked feed so they don't drink as much water as they would if their food was bone dry.

I don't think the nipples would work in that kind of cold. @rosemarythyme @Sally PB @Debbie292d @DobieLover would have more experience with freezing temperatures. A water heater would probably help. Happy Thanksgiving to you, and all others who Celebrate!
I don't get anywhere near that cold, so I can only verify horizontal nipples continue working down to 12F. Vertical nipples will freeze as high as 32F, they're not designed for cold weather at all.

I am using submersible bucket heater this year in a 5 gallon open top (wide and shallow) dish. Pretty sure the dish is for horses.
I used it before when I had ducks. The chickens were a thaw and refill a few times a day thing in years past.

I have purchased the heated dog water dishes.they always failed me after a couple months. I am setting a new one up in my grow out section. We will see if it can last this time.

I bought a large (gallon plus) heated dog water bowl. I ran an extension cord to the run, so I plug it in in the morning, add about 3 quarts of water, and it's good all day. At lock up, I dump it out and unplug it.

The first one I bought lasted for two years. I didn't hesitate to buy another one when it died. I think they were around $20(?) at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom