Grasshoppers - how do you catch them?

NickyPick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Pine Valley (New Waverly), TX
Last weekend I was walking on my land (it's an hour away, still being cleared) and about 3-5 grasshoppers leaped away with every step I took. All I could think of was that my chickens would be in heaven if they were there! Any ideas how I could catch a bunch to bring home for them?

buy a butterfly net.. have a empty jar with lid (holes poked for air) and have fun. I do that on our "back 40" - bring back a jar full.. I let them out and enjoy the show.

occassionally I will find huge earthworms in my flowerbeds.. that too..is a show! Poor worm

Shelly

I had a turtle when I was a kid - it loved grasshoppers. I would just sneak up behing them then grab their wing with my fingers. Worked well. Only problem was that the grasshoppers were fast and the turtle was slow, so I would have to eliminate one of the legs (i.e., pull off a leg) so the hopper could not hop any longer.

When I was walking to the shop yesterday I saw a small one on the ground..I picked it up, threw it in the pen with the 3 week olds...it was hysterical to watch.
lol.png
I just pick them up by hand.

Well first you have a bunch of kids, raise them to be 7 or so.....

lol j/k . Hand-catching takes 7 year-old levels of energy. I would definitely use a net - the wider the mouth the better.

Good luck!

Quote:
Actually, my thought was very similar! I was thinking find a little boy, give him a jar with a lid and tell him you'll give him a penny for each grasshopper he brings you. It'll be the best 25cents you've ever spent!

Quote:
Actually, my thought was very similar! I was thinking find a little boy, give him a jar with a lid and tell him you'll give him a penny for each grasshopper he brings you. It'll be the best 25cents you've ever spent!

That's a great idea! You'd probably have to round up to 5 cents for today's kids though
tongue.png

Man I'm having flashbacks to digging up dandelions in my parents' yard for 5 cents each.....

Hmmm, my sister's family is moving in on June 4. My nephew is almost 7. I wonder how long these grasshoppers are going to hang around? Too bad my other nephew wouldn't be interested as he lives down the street. HE'S 26.

Quote:
my 9 and 10 year old are out catching all day, my chickens get between 4 and 10 each day lol. they use a butterfly net. and some times they forget the net and catch just as many LOL

Back
Top Bottom