Grasshoppers - how do you catch them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NickyPick, May 26, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Last weekend I was walking on my land (it's an hour away, still being cleared) and about 3-5 grasshoppers leaped away with every step I took. All I could think of was that my chickens would be in heaven if they were there! Any ideas how I could catch a bunch to bring home for them?

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    buy a butterfly net.. have a empty jar with lid (holes poked for air) and have fun. I do that on our "back 40" - bring back a jar full.. I let them out and enjoy the show.

occassionally I will find huge earthworms in my flowerbeds.. that too..is a show! Poor worm

Shelly

3. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    I had a turtle when I was a kid - it loved grasshoppers. I would just sneak up behing them then grab their wing with my fingers. Worked well. Only problem was that the grasshoppers were fast and the turtle was slow, so I would have to eliminate one of the legs (i.e., pull off a leg) so the hopper could not hop any longer.

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    When I was walking to the shop yesterday I saw a small one on the ground..I picked it up, threw it in the pen with the 3 week olds...it was hysterical to watch. [​IMG] I just pick them up by hand.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Well first you have a bunch of kids, raise them to be 7 or so.....

lol j/k . Hand-catching takes 7 year-old levels of energy. I would definitely use a net - the wider the mouth the better.

Good luck!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Actually, my thought was very similar! I was thinking find a little boy, give him a jar with a lid and tell him you'll give him a penny for each grasshopper he brings you. It'll be the best 25cents you've ever spent!

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Actually, my thought was very similar! I was thinking find a little boy, give him a jar with a lid and tell him you'll give him a penny for each grasshopper he brings you. It'll be the best 25cents you've ever spent!

That's a great idea! You'd probably have to round up to 5 cents for today's kids though [​IMG]

Man I'm having flashbacks to digging up dandelions in my parents' yard for 5 cents each.....

8. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Hmmm, my sister's family is moving in on June 4. My nephew is almost 7. I wonder how long these grasshoppers are going to hang around? Too bad my other nephew wouldn't be interested as he lives down the street. HE'S 26.

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I throw my hat at the ones in my yard. If the hawks ever back off, I will let the birds do all the leg work.

10. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:my 9 and 10 year old are out catching all day, my chickens get between 4 and 10 each day lol. they use a butterfly net. and some times they forget the net and catch just as many LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by