Gravel Base in Run?

Could you please help me understand the differences between deep bedding and deep litter? I tried googling it but only came up with “deep litter” inside coops. I’d love to understand what makes them different!

The difference is whether it's composting or not.

Deep Litter is a form of cold composting, which requires moisture and benefits from direct contact with the ground to inoculate the mixture of "brown" materials with the "green" manure with the good bacteria, good fungi, and good bugs -- though you *can* seed the mix with these things by adding some started compost either from your pile or raked out from under a pile of old leaves, pine straw, or whatever is quietly decomposing in some odd corner of your property.

The litter and the poop, in the presence of moisture and these composting organisms, react to create compost -- perfectly clean and odor-free when you have the balance right.

Deep Bedding is dry material, which works by drying out the poop. But instead of pooper scoopering it or cleaning it out regularly you just stir it around to break up any mats or crusts (the chickens will do the work for you if you throw a handful of scratch in a couple times a week), and add additional material when it seems to need it. Deep Bedding doesn't compost until you take it out of the coop and build a pile, watering in the layers as you work.

It's odor-free as long as it remains dry.

Hi all,

We are constructing our run now and I had a quick question. We are doing a full hardware cloth bottom with a "sandbox" base and will be putting a few inches of construction sand in the box base, but I was wondering if it's better to put in gravel under the sand.

Does anyone have experience with both or a preference? If you used gravel, how many inches did you put in? And how many inches of sand over top?

Thanks! :)
Wouldn't do gravel.. For one they will work their way through it. For two they like a dust bath.. that's the dirt.. plus gravel in your compost to garden defeats the purpose. Because you are going to have to shovel it at some point.. That's the poo.

Back
Top Bottom