Gravel for chicken run?

2-dimples

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Woodinville, WA
Hey guys! I just joined a few days ago and thought I'd ask you experts about our chicken run that has a gravel on the ground. We moved into this house a year ago and the previous owners had built a chicken run or pen with gravel covering the ground. Has anyone ever tried this? It seems like a good idea for drainage and to keep the mud down, but I am unsure about how to eventually clean it. I'm sure the chicken manure would eventually pile up and you'd need to wash it down or something......any ideas?

We have a power washer. You could invets in that? I do think the rocks would fly though so it would have to be quick swipes. They may also eat the gravel if small enough

Yeah, that's a good idea to use a power washer. The gravel isn't really tiny so I don't think they'd be able to eat to much of it..... Do you think I need to disinfect it with bleach solution?

You are welcome and if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask
smile.png

I think gravel is a bad idea. I know it wasn't your idea, but I'd remove it entirely. Chickens want to see the ground, look for insects and seeds, and they want to take dirt baths to prevent mites, fleas, etc. If drainage is an issue, get some more soil and mound it up.

Back
Top Bottom